2021 Silhouette won't launch (Big Sur)

Hi,

I can’t get Silhouette to launch whether it’s the standalone or the OFX (Flame) version. I tried uninstalling 2020 and 2021 and then re-installing just the standalone of 2021. I’ve deleted any Silhouette plist items in my preferences. Here’s read out from terminal (both the standalone and the OFX have a simililar message):

john@vfx03 MacOS % ./Silhouette

objc[11597]: Class QMacAutoReleasePoolTracker is implemented in both /Applications/BorisFX/Silhouette 2021/Silhouette.app/Contents/Frameworks/libQt5Core.5.dylib (0x107066be8) and /Applications/BorisFX/Silhouette 2021/Silhouette.app/Contents/PlugIns/GStreamer.module (0x125b46670). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[11597]: Class QT_ROOT_LEVEL_POOL__THESE_OBJECTS_WILL_BE_RELEASED_WHEN_QAPP_GOES_OUT_OF_SCOPE is implemented in both /Applications/BorisFX/Silhouette 2021/Silhouette.app/Contents/Frameworks/libQt5Core.5.dylib (0x107066c60) and /Applications/BorisFX/Silhouette 2021/Silhouette.app/Contents/PlugIns/GStreamer.module (0x125b466e8). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[11597]: Class KeyValueObserver is implemented in both /Applications/BorisFX/Silhouette 2021/Silhouette.app/Contents/Frameworks/libQt5Core.5.dylib (0x107066c88) and /Applications/BorisFX/Silhouette 2021/Silhouette.app/Contents/PlugIns/GStreamer.module (0x125b46710). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[11597]: Class RunLoopModeTracker is implemented in both /Applications/BorisFX/Silhouette 2021/Silhouette.app/Contents/Frameworks/libQt5Core.5.dylib (0x107066cd8) and /Applications/BorisFX/Silhouette 2021/Silhouette.app/Contents/PlugIns/GStreamer.module (0x125b46760). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Thanks in advance.
John

@johng We’ll have a response for you tomorrow.

1 Like

Does Silhouette fail to launch by double-clicking the Silhouette icon in /Applications/BorisFX/Silhouette 2021?

Thanks Marco! Yes, it gets stuck here:

@johng What OFX plug-ins are you running? We have black listed certain plug-ins that are known to cause problems, but you may be running one we don’t know about. Can you move the installed OFX plug-ins out of the OFX folder located at /Macintosh HD/Library/OFX/Plugins and see if Silhouette will start-up? If it does, put back each OFX plug-in one at a time to see which one may be causing an issue.

I’m running a few (Neat, Sapphire, Mocha, and Spetra), but removing all of them did not help.

Can you post the disk log? It’s at ~/Library/Logs/BorisFX/Silhouette 2021/silhouette.log

Yes, here it is:

silhouette.log.zip (628 Bytes)

Thanks!

Looks like it is trying to load GStreamer at that point. Why it would just freeze, I have no idea. But you could try moving the GStreamer.module out of the Silhouette.app/Contents/Resources/Plugins folder to see if that makes a difference?

Wow! I removed that module and it works (both ofx and standalone)! Is it “safe” to run Silhouette without that module?

Yes - though you won’t be able to load movie files directly into Silhouette. Again, not sure what would cause that module to hang on load, but we’ll look into it.

That works for me. Thanks again guys!