3D Camera Tracking?

Hello, all!
Despite seeing a camera reconstruction “point cloud” in one of the tutorials (which I realize was from a completely different program) I see no references anywhere to using tracking data from Mocha Pro in any 3D application. Is this because it’s fundamentally a 2D (planar) tracker with no real 3D data, or am I missing something?
Thanks for any help!

Hi everyone.
How you all guys doing?
I was wondering may I ask you a question?
How these 3D cameras work?

Hi everyone.
How you all guys doing?
I was wondering may I ask you a question?
How these 3D cameras work?

Hello, all!

Despite seeing a camera reconstruction “point cloud” in one of the tutorials (which I realize was from a completely different program) I see no references anywhere to using tracking data from Mocha Pro in any 3D application. Is this because it’s fundamentally a 2D (planar) tracker with no real 3D data, or am I missing something?

Thanks for any help!

Hi!
No, you are not mistaken. Right now mocha’s planar tracker is a 2.5D tracker. Most solves for most scenes mocha is designed for just need to be 2D, unless you’re trying to put a 3D model into a scene. Even then we’ve had some users use our 2D tracking data to put 3D objects into scenes using nulls in After Effects.
Though stay tuned for the next version of our mocha product line, 3.0, where we have some super exciting developments coming down the pipe that we can’t wait to share with our users!
Cheers!
Mary

Hi!

No, you are not mistaken. Right now mocha’s planar tracker is a 2.5D tracker. Most solves for most scenes mocha is designed for just need to be 2D, unless you’re trying to put a 3D model into a scene. Even then we’ve had some users use our 2D tracking data to put 3D objects into scenes using nulls in After Effects.

Though stay tuned for the next version of our mocha product line, 3.0, where we have some super exciting developments coming down the pipe that we can’t wait to share with our users!

Cheers!
Mary

Hi William,
mocha Pro v3 is currently targeted to ship in the spring of 2012. All customers that have an active support contract will receive a free upgrade to mocha Pro. A beta program will be starting in the near future.
Without going into “too much detail” the following is a partial list of what is planned for v3.
? improved layer management tools to organize, view & manage large projects.
? improved roto tools & function such as: parenting points, bounding box selection tool for transformations, locked scaling, etc.
? multi-select & edit of layers
? more keyboard shortcuts
? new dopesheet keyframe layout
? 3D camera export to After Effects*
*We expect the 3D camera will also work with Cinema 4D’s camera import.
This said, mocha v3 is not being developed to compete with full fledged camera tracking software. The core areas of the software will still be planar tracking for compositing, rotoscoping, object removal, etc. The new 3D camera feature will use planar tracking to assist the camera solve but will probably not be the only solution for all 3D camera solve projects.
Not sure if this information helps your decision but as you can see, mocha Pro v3 will have lots of useful new features based on years of customer feedback. If you wish to upgrade now with a support contract, please contact sales@imagineersystems.com.
Best wishes & Happy New Year,
Ross
Ross Shain
CMO
Imagineer Systems

Hi William,
mocha Pro v3 is currently targeted to ship in the spring of 2012. All customers that have an active support contract will receive a free upgrade to mocha Pro. A beta program will be starting in the near future.

Without going into “too much detail” the following is a partial list of what is planned for v3.

? improved layer management tools to organize, view & manage large projects.
? improved roto tools & function such as: parenting points, bounding box selection tool for transformations, locked scaling, etc.
? multi-select & edit of layers
? more keyboard shortcuts
? new dopesheet keyframe layout
? 3D camera export to After Effects*

*We expect the 3D camera will also work with Cinema 4D’s camera import.

This said, mocha v3 is not being developed to compete with full fledged camera tracking software. The core areas of the software will still be planar tracking for compositing, rotoscoping, object removal, etc. The new 3D camera feature will use planar tracking to assist the camera solve but will probably not be the only solution for all 3D camera solve projects.

Not sure if this information helps your decision but as you can see, mocha Pro v3 will have lots of useful new features based on years of customer feedback. If you wish to upgrade now with a support contract, please contact sales@imagineersystems.com.

Best wishes & Happy New Year,
Ross

Ross Shain
CMO
Imagineer Systems

Not sure what your question is referring to. You may want to check out this Wikipedia page that covers various concepts about camera tracking, etc:

Not sure what your question is referring to. You may want to check out this Wikipedia page that covers various concepts about camera tracking, etc:

Mary,
Would you care to say more about 3.0. When may it be released? Would it be in the next 12 months at least? What 3d features and integration with 3d apps and After Effects it may have? This is important because I am looking at another tracking program that offers that but would rather just have Mocha Pro and not have two programs.
William

Mary,
Would you care to say more about 3.0. When may it be released? Would it be in the next 12 months at least? What 3d features and integration with 3d apps and After Effects it may have? This is important because I am looking at another tracking program that offers that but would rather just have Mocha Pro and not have two programs.
William