3d projection mapping - motion tracking

Hello everyone! this is my first post here! :slight_smile:
So, here is my story :
at the moment I’m trying to finish my thesis and I must admit that I need some help because I’m a new mocha user…
I registered a small video with a ‘‘Go Pro’’ camera and my car and now I want to make a (fake) 3d projection mapping video in motion , a regular,static, projection mapping video can be seen here : 3D projection on a Building - YouTube
before jump to mocha, I tried with after effects masking and 2d tracking but no good …
a small test here : - YouTube
the video is about 6 minutes long(365 mb) , do I have to slice it in smaller pieces or do I have to import it all at once ? I tried to import 700 mocha tracked frames in to after effects and my pc freezed (win 7 64 bit , 6core intel, 12g ram)!
can someone explain the right process to make a video process like that ?
thanks a lot!
Lef

—Quote (Originally by MRohan)—
Hi,
This is a bit off topic, but I’m doing my thesis on 3D projection mapping fad or long term effective strategy for an Integrated Marketing Campaign. Does anyone know of any upcoming events I might attend, more specifically in the states? I can only find demonstrations, and I need to see one that is being conducted for a brand or a specific product. I’m willing to share any of my research findings, and would be very grateful for any and all help.
Best,
Mags
—End Quote—
Although i’ve not seen them in my previous visits, your best bet would be the major conferences and exhibitions like NAB, SIGGRAPH and the like. Unfortunately you’ve just missed both of these.
I’m not an authority on 3D projection mapping though, so there may be some more specific centres for this kind of technology.

You should be able to track the buildings reasonably easily with mocha, but 6 mins is a very long take. Are you using the HD footage from the GoPro?
It also depends on if you are turning corners and filming foreground buildings and buildings in the backgrund, as you will need to track different planes if the starting layer is tracking something that is no longer planar.
For example, in the example you showed, the plane of the building is nice and easy to track as it’s in the foreground and running parallel to the car. If you go around the block however you will lose that plane as you turn and will get a new set of planes for the buildings around the corner. For the new planes you will need different layers to track.
I would suggest breaking your shot down into manageable chunks where the planes change, but try first just drawing new layers as you get new planes and turning off the track cogs of layers you’ve finished tracking. Since it’s a very long shot it would probably be best managed by actually breaking the footage into parts.

Hi,
This is a bit off topic, but I’m doing my thesis on 3D projection mapping fad or long term effective strategy for an Integrated Marketing Campaign. Does anyone know of any upcoming events I might attend, more specifically in the states? I can only find demonstrations, and I need to see one that is being conducted for a brand or a specific product. I’m willing to share any of my research findings, and would be very grateful for any and all help.
Best,
Mags