3D world scale

Does anyone know if there is an option to set the 3D world scale(relative distance between camera and nulls) when exporting a camera solution from Mocha Pro to AE?

—Quote (Originally by MaryP)—
Can you just change the scale of the object you’re using in AE? That’s the workaround I use.
—End Quote—
That doesn’t always work out because the scale of the object is preceived relative to the background video that I’m compositing against. Yes it works somtimes but the end result is that there is either too much or too little parallax of the 3D object as compared to elements in the 2D background video…which kind of takes away from the realism. The other problem is when using AE lights to cast shadows and illuminate the object(e.g. solid surface or text) with the huge pixel distances things just don’t look right. I just found a script from Mathias called orientworld I think it does what I’m looking for…just think it would be nice to have some export options for the camera solver since all the math is done there :slight_smile:

Does anyone know if there is an option to set the 3D world scale(relative distance between camera and nulls) when exporting a camera solution from Mocha Pro to AE?

Into what 3D package? You will have to change any scale manually.
—End Quote—
Hi Mary,
Everytime I solve the camera with Mocha and bring the nulls+camera into AE, the world scale(pixel distance bewteen the surface nulls as well as to the Camera plus the camera’s focal length) is super huge which makes it difficult to position 3D renders or use 3D objects inside AE. As an example the Z distance between my mochacamera and the closest surface null from Mocha is usually around 6000 pixels. Trying to scale this manually in AE is almost impossible without manual repositioning of the nulls and the camera.

—End Quote—
Hi Mary,
Everytime I solve the camera with Mocha and bring the nulls+camera into AE, the world scale(pixel distance bewteen the surface nulls as well as to the Camera plus the camera’s focal length) is super huge which makes it difficult to position 3D renders or use 3D objects inside AE. As an example the Z distance between my mochacamera and the closest surface null from Mocha is usually around 6000 pixels. Trying to scale this manually in AE is almost impossible without manual repositioning of the nulls and the camera.

Can you just change the scale of the object you’re using in AE? That’s the workaround I use.
—End Quote—
That doesn’t always work out because the scale of the object is preceived relative to the background video that I’m compositing against. Yes it works somtimes but the end result is that there is either too much or too little parallax of the 3D object as compared to elements in the 2D background video…which kind of takes away from the realism. The other problem is when using AE lights to cast shadows and illuminate the object(e.g. solid surface or text) with the huge pixel distances things just don’t look right. I just found a script from Mathias called orientworld I think it does what I’m looking for…just think it would be nice to have some export options for the camera solver since all the math is done there :slight_smile:

I will pass that on as a feature request. :slight_smile: Thank you!
—End Quote—
Awesome thank you so much! :slight_smile:

While we’re here, just need a confirmation that the size/shape of the surface has no impact on the 3D camera solution? I think I heard that on one of Martin’s tutorials but I’m not sure…I know spline/surface shape obviously have no impact on tracking data but I can’t remember if the surface shape impacts the camera solution(it will impact where the nulls sit but would it impact the accuracy?).

—End Quote—
Awesome thank you so much! :slight_smile:
While we’re here, just need a confirmation that the size/shape of the surface has no impact on the 3D camera solution? I think I heard that on one of Martin’s tutorials but I’m not sure…I know spline/surface shape obviously have no impact on tracking data but I can’t remember if the surface shape impacts the camera solution(it will impact where the nulls sit but would it impact the accuracy?).

Actually, you want to make your surface tool a little smaller for camera solves, because it increases the calculation accuracy on the camera solver.

Actually, you want to make your surface tool a little smaller for camera solves, because it increases the calculation accuracy on the camera solver.

Can you just change the scale of the object you’re using in AE?

Can you just change the scale of the object you’re using in AE?