Add a background image to PI standalone free

Hi
I have been struggling with adding a simple background image to PI standalone free. It’s so basic, but I can’t find a way to do this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thx

Hello!

The standalone version of PI does not support the import of images or video as a background element. If you need to see the background video in order to accurately position emitters then I suggest that you use the plug-in version. You can then save the project set up from the plug-in version and then render that out using the standalone version. If you need to composite the emitter into a shot then you really should be using the plugin version but if you can’t do that then you can render using the standalone version and then import the render into an editing or compositing app to finish the shot.

Thanks,
Peter.

Hi Peter
Thanks. Is the plugin version standalone or does it require a parent application?
/Martin

Hi Martin,

Yes, the plug-in version requires a host application so you’ll need that. If you do not already own a video editing app then I would recommend using Resolve as a host - they offer a free version of the product which you can use on both Mac and Win. Here’s a link - (https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/) - scroll about 3/4 way down the page and you’ll find the button to download the product installer. Then go to borisfx.com and download the installer for Particle Illusion for OFX on the platform that you’re using (mac/win). Install Resolve first, then install Particle Illusion.

Cheers,
Peter.

Hi Peter
Thank you for your fulfilling answer:-) - Where do I purchase the plugin, I haven’t been able to find that.
Kind regards from Martin

Hi Martin,

Well you can download and purchase the plugin here (currently discounted 25% due to the extension of the sale) :

https://borisfx.com/store/?collection=continuum-premium-filters&product=continuum-filter-particle-illusion

If you just want the trial version, which enables use of the product with a watermarked render, you can download and install the full Continuum product.

Cheers,
Peter.

Super - Thx