Adjust Track - Going Global

Hello,
I’m working with an insert on footage that does not have enough texture to pull a good track. I have several spots where the track goes “wack”.

So the plan was to use adjust track to manually set keyframes and adjust the shape manually. It started out pretty well and seemed like all I needed to do was adjust every 10 or so frames, depending on the amount of movement of the background.

1. On the timeline, I started on the far left side of the spot that needed fixing and progressed to the right. It was going well and then I noticed that the earlier frames that I had already gotten set were now off.

Please tell me I’m not crazy and verify for me that adjusting a later keyframe should only affect that frame rather than the whole timeline globally.

1. Shouldn’t there be a separate timeline for the adjust track tab compared with the track tab?

2. Is it possible that the entire instance of a mocha plugin could be corrupted?

Hi there,

You are correct, that should not happen as long as you have set your master keyframes to start with. If you have set master keyframes but it is still offsetting incorrectly, it might be an old bug. What version of Mocha Pro are you on? The most recent version should have this fixed.

Cheers,
Mary

Hi Mary,

Version 5.6.0 build 1601.gcc41335b663b
Build Date Feb 2 2018

I was under the impression that the master keyframes were auto set to the frame where you made your first adjustment. What are the conditions where you would want to change the master keyframe?

Thanks,

Blake

No, your master keyframes have to be manually set. You have to say which frames are the master frames by selecting “Set Master All.” Then you shouldn’t get any offset, I’d delete your keyframes in Adjust Track and try again, this time setting master frames. That doesn’t sound like a bug so much as just not setting the “master” frames.

Ok. I’ll try it.

Thanks

Hi Mary,

So I reshot this footage that I sent last time with tracking dots and now I’m getting a solid track Using a separate layer just for the tracking dots.

The “Torso” track (the shape used for the insert clip) is linked to the “tracking dots” track. The Torso X-spline was tracking along nicely and then the topmost X-spline points jumped down several dozen pixels. The tracking dots track does not do this so I can’t figure out why it did that.

I decided to use the adjust track tool because it seems like a simple fix, so I set the master frames like you recommended and then moved back one frame where the jump happens. I grabbed the top line of the shape and dragged it up (adjust track tool). Then I moved forward one frame expecting the shape to have maintained its positioning due to the keyframe and the fact that I set my master frames to all on this keyframe. But the offset that I applied in the previous frame followed forward to the master frame" frame.

I attached the project in case you wanted to take a look.

Any advice?

thanks,

Blake

Bnaleid Adjust Track Weirdness.mocha (784 KB)

Can you send me the footage for context?

Sure. What sharing platform do you prefer?

Dropbox or Google Drive work very well. Mary P at Boris FX dot com.

Hi Mary,

I sent the file via Dropbox. Just checking to see if you were able to download it.

Thanks!

Hi Blake,

I was, I am checking on some tech specs and making sure this bug has been fixed and has not regressed. Please stand by.

Cheers,
Mary

Ok. Thx

I think this may be a regression. Working with the dev team now.

Uh oh. Sounds like that could take months to resolve.

Or it’s a single build regression and won’t. We are checking on it.

Ok, thanks.

Hi Mary,
I installed Mocha 2019. Thanks for the link.

I’ve been working on this same project for a couple days and I keep running into different problems. I decided to start over with my layers, deleting the old ones and creating new ones using the magnetic spline tool.

The problem I just experienced was during the track. When I stop the track operation to adjust the spline points (usually necessary when the object I’m tracking goes off screen because the scale gets squished) I had to use control Z. The “undo” command caused an error “failed to restore object state”. This happened twice.

• The first time, the spline shape jumped to a different part of the screen and would not follow the track that had been processed just a few minutes earlier.
  • The second time, the shape stayed in its original position for the first frame but then all the key frames I set up disappeared.

Is this a known problem?

Thanks,
Blake

Hi Blake,

It is a known bug, we are working on a fix.

Cheers,
Mary

Ok, cool.

I found a couple more. Fortunately, there’s a work around. Is there an email address for reporting these bugs?

Thanks

Yes, you need to go to this link: Boris FX | Open a Case
Select Product Support and Crash/Freeze or Feature Suggestion, they will go to our product team and make it easier for us to track.