Adjusting bad tracks

In roto work (in my opinion, I haven’t done much, try to avoid it, spend enough time developing the tools, don’t really want to use them as well…) the main issue is to create a good smooth track with no jumps. You don’t need the sub-pixel accuracy over hundreds of frames that you need for screen inserts and the like, which the AdjustTrack tool provides.

So we need better ways of correcting and/or smoothing the track in motor. We’re going to provide better smoothing options with the curve editor we’re working on. We should also keep the manual tracking option so that the user can correct the track by dragging the surface points when in manual tracking mode. We hope that this combination will provide the controls a user needs.

Phil

well the problem I see with that is that if you adjust the surface when it drifts you are only adjusting 4 points. If you rely on just adjusting the roto you end up having to adjust all the verts in the roto. Plus if the surface starts skewing off in one direction (what happened to me) than all of your points get modified by quite a large amount and because of the skew you can’t just select a bunch of points and move them as a group, you have to adjust each point by itself. if I was able to re-align the track by moving the surface I could fix all this by only moving 1 or 2 points.

Ok so I have a workflow question. Lets say I make a layer shape and set the surface to the area I want to track. I start tracking forward and at a certain point things start going off where they should be. At this point in the monet videos they would go in and adjust the surface at the later frame and monet would adjust the whole track to keep it in the correct area. When I change the surface in a later frame in motor it changes the first frame so now the later frame is good but the first frame is off.

Am I doing something wrong? How do I manually adjust the track in motor so that I can fix areas where the track starts to wonder?

I’m still rooting for the adjust track tab in motor :slight_smile:

—Quote (Originally by diffuse)—
When I change the surface in a later frame in motor it changes the first frame so now the later frame is good but the first frame is off.
—End Quote—

When you adjust the surface in Motor, it is merely adjsuting the posistion of the surface in relation to the tracking data throughout the timeline and it is not keyframed - hence your finding…

Adjust track in monet and mokey actually adjusts and keyframes the tracking data to an adjusted value.

The only way to adjust currently the track within motor, is to use manual tracking. Be careful though, first add a track key frame on the last frame that is tracked accurately and then go to the next frame and switch (keyframe) to Manual tracking. Also make sure you do not have Modify Range on when you swith to Manual tracking.

Ok so I have a workflow question. Lets say I make a layer shape and set the surface to the area I want to track. I start tracking forward and at a certain point things start going off where they should be. At this point in the monet videos they would go in and adjust the surface at the later frame and monet would adjust the whole track to keep it in the correct area. When I change the surface in a later frame in motor it changes the first frame so now the later frame is good but the first frame is off.

Am I doing something wrong? How do I manually adjust the track in motor so that I can fix areas where the track starts to wonder?
—End Quote—

Had a meeting about this again this afternoon. We are not convinced that adjust track needs to be in Motor. Adjust track really adjusts the track for drift in the case of placing an insert…

When doing roto work it is our opinion (at this stage) that the basic / raw track can be achieved and the the layer splines can be keyframed to adjust for drift.

If you do not agree with this please elaborate on your reasonining.

well the problem I see with that is that if you adjust the surface when it drifts you are only adjusting 4 points. If you rely on just adjusting the roto you end up having to adjust all the verts in the roto. Plus if the surface starts skewing off in one direction (what happened to me) than all of your points get modified by quite a large amount and because of the skew you can’t just select a bunch of points and move them as a group, you have to adjust each point by itself. if I was able to re-align the track by moving the surface I could fix all this by only moving 1 or 2 points.
—End Quote—

Without being able to view your shot, it’s difficult to comment on why the track is not close to correct. It may well be that a better raw track could be achieved, resulting in less vertex keyframing.

Please don’t think we are being difficult about this, we need concrete reasons to include Adjust Track in motor.