Advanced tracking in roads

Hi everyone, i am new in Mocha because i rarely had had to use a tracker tool but a few times, but now it seems that i have to make a job with several advanced tracking data and want to ask a little bit about the best way to achieve a good job.

I need:

I have to draw a big red line in the road that have to be stable from the start of the road to the end.

What i have:

16 diferent shots, taken by a drone, with a go pro at 1080P 25Fps, have turns of 180º and really long takes following the roads, moving in Z,Y and X

What i have tried:

tried to track all the road at once with bad results, the road dont have white lines or anything good to track and my planar surface and planar grid just dance, (is a earth road).

Tried to track diferent points and seems to be pointless.

I have draw a line with a plugin that makes lines in solids in after effects, but when i paste the data of the corner pin or the transform and etc just get really bad results. Same if i create a Null and just link them.

What i have to do next time?

To this job i couldn’t talk with the camera, but to the next i can give him instructions, i have thought about him taking 2 big red things and put them in the road where have to start and end the line or at least the path of the line have to go for that two points if i could not see the points in all the shot, that would solve the problem?

Advices? How could i fix it now? specific tutorials?

I need you!

One example of what i have to do, done with After Effects animation with Frame by frame

we.tl/Z1W7hofcdW

OK, let me see if I can help you.

Tried to track different points and seems to be pointless.

Right, we track texture. So track the ground in several places. Because this is a gopro, you will want to solve for the lens first, I think, because otherwise your data won't work with the lens distortion well and that might be the root of your problem. If your shots are super long, you might just want to track translation only, shear might get you bad results. Or you may need to track in sections of the footage instead and connect different lines at different places in the timeline. Like animate one line between frame 1 and frame 500, 501 to frame 1000, etc.

I have draw a line with a plugin that makes lines in solids in after effects, but when i paste the data of the corner pin or the transform and etc just get really bad results. Same if i create a Null and just link them.

You have to either precomp your line to use with corner pin data OR link your line to a null that has transform data on it. I think your best bet will be the pick whip link to a null with mocha tracking data on it.

What i have to do next time?

As long as there's texture on the ground, you should be fine. But long shots with gopro lenses run a risk of being hard to track. Shorter shots are easier.

Advice? How could i fix it now? specific tutorials?

This tutorial on corner pins might help you. http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/mocha-fundamentals-chapter-8a-corner-pin-data-after-effects/

Or this one on transform data: http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/mocha-fundamentals-chapter-7a-transform-data-in-after-effects/

You might also need these tutorials on the lens tool:
http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/tutorial-mocha-lens-for-after-effects-plugin-and-the-lens-module/

http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/mocha-lens-plug-in-for-after-effects-lens-distortion-and-tracking-data-part-2/

Nice!!, i will watch the tutorials tomorrow for sure, and will try with traslation alone maybe in times of 500 frames like you said :smiley:

And what do you think about the idea of put big red elements to the road?, the thing is that the road have little texture, is just earth or all black, whicht i believe dont have really nice information for tracking. am i wrong?

The tutorials of lens are only for Mocha Pro i guess, would it be usefull for my Mocha AE?

Thank you very much ^^

mocha Plus and mocha Pro both have the lens tool, and the curve of the lens in your footage might be the problem. Try downloading a trial and seeing how that works for you.

You just have to track the ground, not the road. The ground is on the same plane as the road. There’s plenty of texture in the shot you sent me here.

Okey i have tried only tracking the road, next time it will be perfect, thank you very, very much!