AE CS6 to mocha 29.97 footage flattened

hi all, new to mocha. i have an AE composition that is true 1080 29.97 (apple prores 422 footage, square pixel). when i send to mocha (animation -->track in mocha) the footage comes in almost completely flat. in other words, it looks like the aspect ratio is WAY off, making the footage only a few pixels high, but the width is correct. upon import i have ‘29.97’ and ‘custom - 1’ selected for aspect ratio and ‘upper’ for field.
if i try again using ‘HD’ instead of ‘custom’ it gives me something ridiculous like ‘0.037037’ for aspect ratio which seems to get the aspect ratio correct but the footage looks like rolling shutter junk and is unusable.
if i have an AE composition with 23.976 footage it imports and looks correct, it’s only 29.97 that’s off.
AE CS6 (trial)
mac os 10.6.8

hi mary, thanks for the direction but this has gotten really odd now.
all of the 23.98 footage is the same codec (prores 4:2:2) and works fine.
i conformed one of the 29.97 clips to 23.98 (the clip now has a longer duration) and the SAME CLIP with same codec now works fine now that it’s 23.98. it seems the problem is in the frame rate somehow. i have no idea how the frame rate could affect the aspect ratio.

hi all, new to mocha. i have an AE composition that is true 1080 29.97 (apple prores 422 footage, square pixel). when i send to mocha (animation -->track in mocha) the footage comes in almost completely flat. in other words, it looks like the aspect ratio is WAY off, making the footage only a few pixels high, but the width is correct. upon import i have ‘29.97’ and ‘custom - 1’ selected for aspect ratio and ‘upper’ for field.

if i try again using ‘HD’ instead of ‘custom’ it gives me something ridiculous like ‘0.037037’ for aspect ratio which seems to get the aspect ratio correct but the footage looks like rolling shutter junk and is unusable.

if i have an AE composition with 23.976 footage it imports and looks correct, it’s only 29.97 that’s off.

AE CS6 (trial)
mac os 10.6.8

hi mary, thanks for the direction but this has gotten really odd now.

all of the 23.98 footage is the same codec (prores 4:2:2) and works fine.

i conformed one of the 29.97 clips to 23.98 (the clip now has a longer duration) and the SAME CLIP with same codec now works fine now that it’s 23.98. it seems the problem is in the frame rate somehow. i have no idea how the frame rate could affect the aspect ratio.

for some reason you’re right. i found some stock footage @ 29.97 and it imports fine. i converted my ‘prores 422’ clip that didn’t work to ‘prores 422HQ’ and it imports fine. strange because all of my footage comes directly off an aja kipro mini that records prores files directly to compact flash. but 100% of the files recorded in 29.97 won’t work while 100% of the files recorded to 23.98 do work. same recorder/codec/etc. i guess i’ll have to work in proresHQ for any tracking work. but i’d really like to know what’s causing this error. Fcp/AE/motion/etc all see the footage fine, only mocha has a problem and only at 29.97.

for some reason you’re right. i found some stock footage @ 29.97 and it imports fine. i converted my ‘prores 422’ clip that didn’t work to ‘prores 422HQ’ and it imports fine. strange because all of my footage comes directly off an aja kipro mini that records prores files directly to compact flash. but 100% of the files recorded in 29.97 won’t work while 100% of the files recorded to 23.98 do work. same recorder/codec/etc. i guess i’ll have to work in proresHQ for any tracking work. but i’d really like to know what’s causing this error. Fcp/AE/motion/etc all see the footage fine, only mocha has a problem and only at 29.97.

mary - that’s what is so weird. there is no process. the AJA recorder records directly as quicktime prores files. the files i’m using haven’t been touched in any way/shape/form. i acquire the footage and edit in the exact same format w/o any transcoding/compression/conversion.
i open up AE, import file, create a new comp using that file so that the comp settings match the file, then use animation → track to mocha command to send to mocha. mocha always knows the proper file type (frame rate, aspect ratio, etc). and then the 29.97 files are always screwed while the 23.98 files are fine. weird.

mary - that’s what is so weird. there is no process. the AJA recorder records directly as quicktime prores files. the files i’m using haven’t been touched in any way/shape/form. i acquire the footage and edit in the exact same format w/o any transcoding/compression/conversion.

i open up AE, import file, create a new comp using that file so that the comp settings match the file, then use animation → track to mocha command to send to mocha. mocha always knows the proper file type (frame rate, aspect ratio, etc). and then the 29.97 files are always screwed while the 23.98 files are fine. weird.

OK, I’ll pass this on to our team and see if it is a bug.
Thanks for the heads up!
Cheers,
Mary

It won’t, but the key element here is that you re-processed the file, IMO. Something was wrong with the other one.

No idea what…

Hi there,
Maybe try changing the codec, it sounds like there’s some sort of marker in the file that is throwing everything off.
Cheers,
Mary

Hi there,

Maybe try changing the codec, it sounds like there’s some sort of marker in the file that is throwing everything off.

Cheers,
Mary

It won’t, but the key element here is that you re-processed the file, IMO. Something was wrong with the other one.
No idea what…

Can you describe in detail the process and program you are using to export? Maybe it’s baking in some sort of editing markers.
Cheers,
Mary

Can you describe in detail the process and program you are using to export? Maybe it’s baking in some sort of editing markers.

Cheers,
Mary

OK, I’ll pass this on to our team and see if it is a bug.

Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers,
Mary

Could you send us a test file to play with and see if we can figure out what is going on?
Cheers,
Mary

Could you send us a test file to play with and see if we can figure out what is going on?

Cheers,
Mary