Alpha Channel, Transparency Grid and Mattes

Maybe another feature request?

I know that I can add Optics to a logo with transparency on the layer like I did on the Boris FX Optics logos in this thumbnail where I added S_Grunge

Same with this Illustrator logo for this t-shirt I’m creating…

But inside of the Optics interface, this is what I see…

and…

Is there a way to change the background of the canvas from white to black or to see some kind of checkered transparency grid? Or to limit the effect to the alpha channel of the image?

Also…and maybe this is a limitation of Photoshop and the way that Photoshop uses mattes (or masks), but it would be nice if there was a way to use an effect like grunge to affect the alpha channel of the layer it’s applied to or maybe even to be able to use a solid with grunge applied to it to use as an Alpha or Luma matte like you can do in After Effects…

I would love to be able to apply S_Glow to a logo in Photoshop the same way that I can apply S_Glow to a text layer in After Effects and have it bloom out beyond the boundaries of the text/logo like this…

Instead…I get this with what appears to be no glow at all…I’m assuming the glow is being cut off by alpha of the text/logo itself…

Any who…some really great stuff…I can’t wait for future updates and enhancements!!!

The Optics user interface does not currently support alpha. The good news is that alpha support is planned for the next major release of Optics.

1 Like

Thanks, @marco! I assumed it was on the list of things to add!