Animating Masks?

It does sound like you are missing something as mocha is created for these type of challenges…

You can cut mask for the foreground actor and animate it (either by hand or tracking) just make sure that the foreground layer goes on a layer above the wall track. In general objects that are closer to the camera get stacked in higher layer order.

As far as the corners that go offscreen, you may need to use the adjust track module. I’d recomend viewing the tutorials online. This one here sounds like a similar shot: http://www.imagineersystems.com/products/monet/Mocha_planar.mov

Best, Ross

—Quote (Originally by Drywall)—
I’m new to Mocha, and it appears I’ve chosen quite a doozy for my first tracking effort in it. Hopefully you folks can offer some advice.

I have to track a large video wall whose markers are obscured for a sizeable portion of the shot by an actor moving in the foreground. To further complicate things, the corners of the video wall go in and out of frame with regularity during the clip making it hard to get a good surface.

I think I could get a good track if only I could roto out the moving subject in the foreground, but it doesn’t appear that I can animate such a mask along the timeline.

Am I missing something? Is there some particular technique for dealing with more challenging tracks? Or am I doomed to toilsome manual labor?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
—End Quote—

I’m new to Mocha, and it appears I’ve chosen quite a doozy for my first tracking effort in it. Hopefully you folks can offer some advice.

I have to track a large video wall whose markers are obscured for a sizeable portion of the shot by an actor moving in the foreground. To further complicate things, the corners of the video wall go in and out of frame with regularity during the clip making it hard to get a good surface.

I think I could get a good track if only I could roto out the moving subject in the foreground, but it doesn’t appear that I can animate such a mask along the timeline.

Am I missing something? Is there some particular technique for dealing with more challenging tracks? Or am I doomed to toilsome manual labor?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Thank you. This information is definitely what I was looking for. I wasn’t thinking about the mask as a track as well, and didn’t understand the layering hierarchies.

I am still experiencing substantial amounts of drift though. Even using the techniques outlined in the tutorial. I suppose the adjust track module would be the candidate for correcting this issues, but most of the tuts I’ve seen tend to gloss over this feature.

Any tutorials you can recommend that explain the adjust track module in greater depth?

Thanks so much for your assistance.