Autopaint takes time...?

Hi there,

I was wondering if Autopaint always takes so much time to process. For lets say 20 strokes on 200 frames ( 4K ) it takes 5 minutes or more on my - not so slow - machine ( 3 x 2080ti ).

Is that normal?

Thx, Tobias

When Auto Painting, Silhouette performs the brush strokes exactly as when they were originally painted, minus the time when there was no activity, plus the time to save to disk. If you used Color and Detail separation modes, there is additional processing required for each frame where the image is separated and then has to be recombined after painting. So, yes, it takes some time depending on what you are doing.

There are limited options, but we are investigating ways to speed up Auto Paint.

1 Like

Ah, I see. In my case… this is really lot of time. When I do beauty retouching on a face, that means over an hour processing time per shot.

And…:

When I have a Paint history with several groups, with several strokes. Everything is tracked and fine. But I want to clear the last group of strokes. The software asks that it wants to rebuild the frames. What the heck is it doin then? It takes hours to render / process! Just because of killing one stroke?! I just want to delete this single item… not rebuild all those were lookin fine…

When you delete strokes out of the Paint History and say yes to Rebuild, the entire shot has to be rebuilt. In your case, the best way to do this would be to delete the strokes from Auto Paint and answer No to the Rebuild. Then, use the Eraser brush on the area you want to restore and Auto Paint the Eraser strokes over the entire shot.

Also, I just did some Auto Paint timing with 4k footage on my machine. When using 20 strokes painted into Color and Detail layers (the most time intensive), it takes 5 seconds a frame. When NOT using Color and Detail, Auto Paint takes .5 sec per frame.

so that means… there´s no room for mistakes or checking if my last action was good or not. I was wondering where the on/off button is where I can toggle my last stroke after Auto Paint and look if it fits or not.

No, of course not. There is room for mistakes. Just hit Ctrl/Cmd-Z to undo if you don’t like the result of your Auto Paint and it will quickly undo what you painted. Later if there is a section of stroke that you want to get rid of without rebuilding, just use the Eraser brush to restore that area.

Just a reminder that Silhouette Paint is not vector paint. You can always just paint over the bad areas or erase and add more strokes, just like you would do in Photoshop.

Hahaha yes… reminds me on the early days… I just came back home that evening from the opening of the Berlin wall. There was a new version of Photoshop in my mailbox. Took me 6 days to download. And… voilá… they implemented an “undo”. :smile: Photoshop 0.65 beta. One… single… undo. And it lasted— I think for 15 years til they changend the "one-undo"policy :smiley:

Just kidding… :wink: Your software is great. I never had so good results on my work. I just wish it would be a little bit faster so my clients wouldn´t faint when I send em the quotation.

I’m having similar issues as @tobiundtron… Can’t figure out how to use the eraser tool on a existing stroke that’s been auto painted. AKA Can’t seem to be able to add or erase a stroke once auto paint is done. For example if one frame is not auto painted correctly… I’d like to be able to modify or erase my existing stroke. But every time I select a tool it adds an new «paint history group».

That’s correct. After you Auto Paint, a new group is created with a time stamp. That’s how Silhouette keeps track of the strokes and what order they are painted in. If a couple of strokes don’t look correct after Auto Painting, you can use the Eraser brush to restore that area. Don’t be concerned that a new group is created. The only thing you can do to change a group after it has been painted is to delete a stroke within a group or the entire group.

I don´t seem to understand the workflow…

For example now I have a 200 frames close up head turn. I want to get rid of the blemishes on the forehead. I paint about 20 strokes on the last frame and Autopaint them backwards. Everythings fine - instead now on the first frame - there are still some blemished visible. No problem - I paint a view strokes and Autopaint them forward… thats what I think. But - when I now paint some strokes, it puts them in the same group like the still Autopainted strokes. That means I have to re-autopaint those old ones too? And from another starting position… (because they where ment to be Autopainted backwards from the last frame). This would mean they maybe sit in wrong positions on the last frame.

Whats the correct workflow on that?

Once auto painted it’s impossible for me to use the eraser tool on any part of an auto painted stroke. Is this normal?

@tobiundtron It feels like that’s the way to go.

After finishing an Auto Paint, if you immediately paint on the frame where it ended on the strokes will go into the same group. It is treated as the same event.

You have a couple of options here:

1. Create a New Group in the Auto Paint window using the + icon and then paint your new strokes.
  2. Move forward one frame and then back. Now, when you paint, strokes will go into a new group.

Note: You can select strokes within a group and only those strokes will be Auto Painted.

thats how I do it now.

I also figured this out

This is not normal. Can you send me a screen recording so I can see what is happening?

my Problem was just again… I wanted to kill these strokes which hadn´t been Autopainted yet. But I could not see how many steps I had to undo till I come to the autopainted strokes because they all look the same. So I went one step to far and the computer felt into freeze - then I knew. I had to kick the whole plugin from the Resolve Node and start agein with all the tracking and everything. You have to be very very carefully with this software. One wrong step and a whole day has gone…

In this case, you would use the Stroke tool (S shortcut key) and drag select around the area of the screen where you painted the strokes you want to delete. Then, hit Delete.

Alternatively, you can Undo and if the strokes are too far back, you can just Redo the strokes and use the above suggestion.

For some reason what I describe is truly happening and then what you say should work does work in the end. I’m confused!