Basic questions please

Does the fbx file export work equally well in 3ds Max ?
What are the disadvantages of planar tracking compared to point tracking (ala Syntheyes etc) if any ?
Is Mocha Pro 3 any less “fussy” about the camera requirements - I know nothing like interlaced video but could you use a CMOs sensor based camera for example ?
Thank you

Hello there everyone! Many thanks for this information, that was extremely interesting read your replies in this thread, very grateful to you for the help!

Hello there everyone! Many thanks for this information, that was extremely interesting read your replies in this thread, very grateful to you for the help!

Hi MArtin
With respect to question 3, I was refering to the type and quality of the actual filmed footage inputted into Mocha. Some point trackers require discrete images where as others are happy with film but can’t handle interlacing etc Some companies explicity say no CMOS sensors etc
Thanks

Does the fbx file export work equally well in 3ds Max ?

What are the disadvantages of planar tracking compared to point tracking (ala Syntheyes etc) if any ?

Is Mocha Pro 3 any less “fussy” about the camera requirements - I know nothing like interlaced video but could you use a CMOs sensor based camera for example ?

Thank you

Hi MArtin

With respect to question 3, I was refering to the type and quality of the actual filmed footage inputted into Mocha. Some point trackers require discrete images where as others are happy with film but can’t handle interlacing etc Some companies explicity say no CMOS sensors etc

Thanks

Hi luxgud:

1. FBX will import, but we have not tested in in 3ds Max. I suggest getting the trial and checking it out. The major difference will be that 3ds Max’s axis is different to most applications so you will need to modify for that.
  2. Mocha tracks planes in 2D (with perspective). We then solve a camera for tracked planes in the scene, rather than tracking points in 3d space. While this means you won’t get a vast point cloud, you will get accurate points and a camera based on the planes you track. This is useful for where there is motion blur, occlusions etc which would normally throw point trackers.
  3. Less fussy compared to other applications? We track anything that moves, so i’m not sure what you mean exactly.

Hi luxgud:

1. FBX will import, but we have not tested in in 3ds Max. I suggest getting the trial and checking it out. The major difference will be that 3ds Max’s axis is different to most applications so you will need to modify for that.
  2. Mocha tracks planes in 2D (with perspective). We then solve a camera for tracked planes in the scene, rather than tracking points in 3d space. While this means you won’t get a vast point cloud, you will get accurate points and a camera based on the planes you track. This is useful for where there is motion blur, occlusions etc which would normally throw point trackers.
  3. Less fussy compared to other applications? We track anything that moves, so i’m not sure what you mean exactly.

Regarding #3, mocha doesn’t use that data CMOS anyway. We’ll just be looking at areas of pixels and how those pixels move.
mocha tracks a pattern of pixels moving relative to one another on the same plane as they move through the scene, even through lighting shifts and blur, so we’re not doing anything with our tracker that we haven’t already done except build 3D data based off of that.
Hope that helps answer your question.
Cheers,
Mary

Regarding #3, mocha doesn’t use that data CMOS anyway. We’ll just be looking at areas of pixels and how those pixels move.

mocha tracks a pattern of pixels moving relative to one another on the same plane as they move through the scene, even through lighting shifts and blur, so we’re not doing anything with our tracker that we haven’t already done except build 3D data based off of that.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Cheers,
Mary