Basing a track on a manual track

I’ve got a shot that is… well, a humdinger of a shot.
This shot is zooming, tracking backwards, and all over the map visually. One character is moving his head, limbs, and doing a sort of dance… so that NONE of his “planes” stay in place for more than 3-6 frames of motion. So I cannot define any place to “hang” a roto on. So, I think I’ve decided to come up with a “manual track”.
My question is this; Is it possible to base a layer of a track on a layer track?
That is, can I manually track one piece of this person, say his shirt back (outer edge), and then attach other layers to that track? Would they then be more “automatically” roto’d than a manual track?
I’ve been watching the “how Mocha works” videos. I am almost convinced that Mocha is a miracle tracker… almost!
Thanks for the time.

This coach bags (http://www.cheapcoachhandbagspursesoutlet.net/) with the opportunity to lead the plant nearest exit. The goods sold in stores the coach handbags (http://www.est1941coach.com/) is generally not the same caliber as those provided in retail coach factory (http://www.coachfactory-outlet.org/) upscale. poppy coach outlet (http://www.coach-outlet-store-online.org/) intentionally manufactures products specifically for their outlets, leaving the latest trends and styles glitter outlets.

HI Will,
You can link any layer to another track using the “Link to Track” drop down in the left hand panel, so doing a manual track or an adjusted track then linking your roto to that track is entirely possible.
In general we recommend track as much as you can, then adjusting the track, but where it becomes impossible to track you can stop and try a manual track. We recommend adding manual keyframes between the auto and manual sections however to stop the track from drifting.

HI Will,

You can link any layer to another track using the “Link to Track” drop down in the left hand panel, so doing a manual track or an adjusted track then linking your roto to that track is entirely possible.

In general we recommend track as much as you can, then adjusting the track, but where it becomes impossible to track you can stop and try a manual track. We recommend adding manual keyframes between the auto and manual sections however to stop the track from drifting.

If it is all crazy, just stick to translation and possibly scale. mocha will do it’s very level best to lock onto the pattern you are trying to track, but will not give you perspective data. However, for roto assist, that should be all you need.

There will be some parts that you will not be able to use anything but manual keyframes, though. That’s just the nature of the beast that is roto. mocha relies on planar data to assist as much as possible, everything past that will be trial and error, but you still should get something to work with.

Please note that without seeing your shot and with us only guessing the level of craziness, you may have to do some parts of the roto completely by hand.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Mary

If it is all crazy, just stick to translation and possibly scale. mocha will do it’s very level best to lock onto the pattern you are trying to track, but will not give you perspective data. However, for roto assist, that should be all you need.
There will be some parts that you will not be able to use anything but manual keyframes, though. That’s just the nature of the beast that is roto. mocha relies on planar data to assist as much as possible, everything past that will be trial and error, but you still should get something to work with.
Please note that without seeing your shot and with us only guessing the level of craziness, you may have to do some parts of the roto completely by hand.
Hope that helps!
Cheers,
Mary

You can also try just tracking translation where it gets really crazy.

I’ve got a shot that is… well, a humdinger of a shot.

This shot is zooming, tracking backwards, and all over the map visually. One character is moving his head, limbs, and doing a sort of dance… so that NONE of his “planes” stay in place for more than 3-6 frames of motion. So I cannot define any place to “hang” a roto on. So, I think I’ve decided to come up with a “manual track”.

My question is this; Is it possible to base a layer of a track on a layer track?
That is, can I manually track one piece of this person, say his shirt back (outer edge), and then attach other layers to that track? Would they then be more “automatically” roto’d than a manual track?

I’ve been watching the “how Mocha works” videos. I am almost convinced that Mocha is a miracle tracker… almost!

Thanks for the time.

—Quote (Originally by MaryP)—
—End Quote—
Actually? Its all crazy… I really don’t know how to start it. So, changing to translation just looks at the pixels and doesn’t try and interpret their dimensional movement… just the 2d movement of those pixels… right? (was thinking that it might)
Thanks allot for all your help! Your response time really wins for me! :wink:

—Quote (Originally by MaryP)—
—End Quote—
Actually? Its all crazy… I really don’t know how to start it. So, changing to translation just looks at the pixels and doesn’t try and interpret their dimensional movement… just the 2d movement of those pixels… right? (was thinking that it might)

Thanks allot for all your help! Your response time really wins for me! :wink:

It is crazy, but I can’t give you the footage… NDAs and all. (More crazyness as well.)
I know of the pain of roto… last time, I did rotos from this footage (different shots) I did it 100% manual in AFX. Mocha is a GREAT help, even if it doesn’t do the roto “perfectly”.
Again, thank you Mary and Martin for all your help!
Will

It is crazy, but I can’t give you the footage… NDAs and all. (More crazyness as well.)

I know of the pain of roto… last time, I did rotos from this footage (different shots) I did it 100% manual in AFX. Mocha is a GREAT help, even if it doesn’t do the roto “perfectly”.

Again, thank you Mary and Martin for all your help!

Will