BCC Crashes Avid on exit

Just installed the new Avid Media Composer 2019.6 on a late 2017 iMac running macOS Mojave. Now Avid takes a long time to close… and then crashes. Figuring it might be due to a plugin, I decided to uninstall Boris Continuum Complete AVX 12.5 (the latest release). That apparently did the trick. I reinstalled BCC, and Avid again crashed on exit. Then I uninstalled BCC, and Avid no longer crashes. Any ideas, aside from reverting to Avid version 2018.12.5?

We’ve found an issue with sporadic crash on quit on mac media composer in Continuum 2019.5. This is not specific to the version of media composer, so reverting to Avid 2018.12.5 won’t help. This crash happens only on quit so shouldn’t cause any data loss, but you could revert to Continuum 2019. Typically it only crashes when you don’t use Continuum during the session. We expect a patch for this to be released within the next few days, however, so since this should be more of an annoyance than actually causing data loss you might want to just wait for the patch.

Thanks for the update. I’m glad to hear you’re aware of the issue and working on a solution.

By the way, I also noticed that Title Studio fails to launch outside of Media Composer. Would you advise me to open a case regarding this issue, as well?

Can you provide more details on the Title Studio problem? Are you saying the standalone Title Studio app fails to launch? What happens exactly? Does it crash? You could certainly open a support case as well at the link below, but the more details we have the better such as OS version, GPU, etc.

https://borisfx.com/support/open-a-case/

BCC Title Studio 12.5 stand-alone returns the following error:

: Could not load:
/Library/Application Support/BorisFX/Lib/BCC12BitDepthSupport/

My system details are as follows:

Media Composer 2019.6 w/Symphony | OS X 10.14.5 | iMac 2017 (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 | 40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4.

We’ve confirmed that problem with the standalone Title Studio for Mac AVX. We’ll aim for a fix in the same patch. Thanks for reporting this!

Cheers,
Jason

The 12.5.1 maintenance release of Continuum 2019.5 is now live on the website and fixes both the crash on quit and the problem with launching the standalone version of Title Studio that you pointed out. Please let us know if you see any additional problems.

Cheers,
Jason

1 Like

Jason,

Thanks for fixing those issues so quickly. I have passed the news along to the Avid forum.

Great - thanks for spreading the word!