BCC Image Restoration: Remover

I am using Davinci Resolve Studio 15. I have a spec of something on my desk in some footage I was trying to remove. Its fixed in 1 spot of the footage as the camera is stationary. I thought this would be an easy task to learn the tool. However I am not having much luck.

I drew a rectangle around the spec in the Mocha tracker. I then had it track for the duration of the clip (~1min). I then have tried nearly every preset/option & nothing disappears. When I do the “spot” approach, I just get a circle randomly popping up outside the mask I drew in Mocha.

I reviewed the tutorial video on this from Avid Media Composer. I feel like I was following the same 1,2, 3 steps. In fact mine is way easier than the orange logo & lady with the hat example.

Have I ran into a bug or how do I go about verifying my steps?

Here is another tutorial on Remover you might want to review:

https://borisfx.com/videos/lets-edit-with-media-composer-bcc-remover/

Additionally, here is a quick summary of the main Continuum Remover usage. BCC Remover has several different Removal Method settings which are really quite distinct from each other. Choose the method that best fits the requirements of your shot.

Clone Spot:
This is the default setting and it replaces a circular region with content from a different part of the image. This option does not use any tracking (at least in the current 2019) version, so the Mocha masks are not relevant to this removal method at all. In this method you set the Destination point picker (the circular region you want to replace by cloning) and then set the Source point picker (the area that will be the source region for the cloning). Again, there is no tracking in this method so if the points need to be animated in your shot you will need to animate the points yourself. If your destination region moves a lot or has an irregular shape that doesn’t match well with a circular region, then you might be better off using the Clone Shape method instead which does utilize Mocha tracking and which can handle arbitrarily shaped regions. But for simple clones in clips without motion this is your easiest option. For the Clone Spot method you can fine tune the spot size, feathering, source properties, etc. with the other controls in the Clone group.

Clone Shape:
If the destination region you’re trying to replace can’t be approximated by a circle or if it requires motion tracking, then this option is likely your best bet. You can use any combination of PixelChooser controls to define the destination mask region, and your most common choice will be the Mocha masking option since that allows tracking of arbitrarily shaped masks. You can sanity check the destination mask region by turning on the View Mask / Matte option which shows the mask as a grayscale map. Regions that are fully selected for replacement will be white, regions that will remain unchanged will be black, and intermediate colors represent blends between the two. Turn off the View Mask / Matte option when you’re confident you have isolated the replacement region. Then use the remaining controls in the Clone group to perform the replacement. The Offset control is the most important since it controls how much of a shift to apply to the image for patching the replacement region. Scrub the Offset amount until the clone regions is filled with the desired alternate source region and then fine tune the fill with the other Clone controls to make it seamless.

Auto-Fill Smooth and Auto-Fill Sharp:
These removal methods are closely related to each other, and unlike the other methods which use manual cloning offset controls, these options will attempt to auto-fill the replacement region with surrounding pixels. This only works well for very narrow fill regions, however, so only choose these options when you are trying to fill narrow gaps such as a thin scratch. In these methods you use the PixelChooser to isolate the replacement region and again preview the selection with the View Mask / Matte option. Once satisfied that the replacement regions is correctly masked, turn off the View Mask / Matte preview and then experiment with the Smooth vs Sharp versions and adjust the Auto Fill Search Radius to achieve the cleanest looking fill.

Thank you Jason! It was actually because I have not used Davinci Resolve before. So I didn’t know how to activate on screen controls to move source & destination. So that made the simple spot approach work. I’ll have to try again with the mocha now that I know that little trick. LOL