BCC Motion Blur - iMacPro Crash

Greetings,
I have some 2k Alexa footage that was shot off speed. I’m bringing it back to “normal” speed, but it looks too sharp and choppy. This seems like the perfect place to use BCC Motion Blur’s Advance feature (other options would be RSMB or AE Pixel Motion Blur). But every time I apply it to a clip it hard locks up my computer (like no response from the mouse or keyboard, hard beach ball spinning). I’ve also tried nesting and other clips but I get the same results. Is anyone else experiencing this? I’m running, macOS 10.13.6, Pr 13.1, & BCC 12.0.4.
Thanks,
Sam

Hi, Sam,

The Advanced Motion Blur option is GPU accelerated with a library that is sensitive to GPU hardware. It is likely that this library is failing on your particular combination of GPU + driver + OS. You could try upgrading the GPU driver, but this might unfortunately be a limitation of the current library. We will research ways to make this Advanced option less dependent on GPU specifics.

-Jason

Do you think upgrading to macOS 10.14 would be a good idea? I’ve also found a variety of performance with plugins when switching back and forth between OpenCL and Metal. Is one more recommended by Boris?

Thanks,
Sam

It’s possible that upgrading to 10.14 would help, but frankly not likely. It’s more likely an issue with the specific GPU - but not so easy to tweak that on Mac. As far as whether to use OpenCL or Metal in general, that probably doesn’t affect the performance of the Boris plugins themselves at this stage since we’re using our own GPU pipeline, not the host’s pipeline. So whichever gives you the better performance in your host overall is likely to be fine as far as our plugins are concerned.

Cool cool. Am I correct to assume that Sapphire also use it’s own GPU pipeline? I know they are only CUDA accelerated, but I never understood if they were able to use the GPU on this iMacPro.