BCC Title Studio frustrations

I set aside some time at the weekend to work my way through the tutorials on Title Studio and have had a weekend of utter frustration. On the title studio basics it has a step where you draw a box (using the rectangle tool then move the upper left and lower right points to produce a parallelogram. Sounds easy but I have spent hours trying to complete this simple step. I can sometimes manage to move both points, sometimes only one and sometimes none:

I click the Spline Object 1 track in the lower left of the screen if I have the pen tool highlighted then I get a line around the spline with boxes to emphasise the corner points (if I select the arrow then it bounds the outside edges of the shape). These boxes imply you should be able to left click on them and move them - in the former (pen tool) case to change the shape of the object and in the latter (arrow tool) to resize the object. However, as soon as I left click (and hold) on one of the “corner” points, the points and surrounding box disappear and the highlighted line in the lower left portition of the screen jumps up to the line above “Texture - Spline Track”.

It’s like the computer is teasing me with all the right interface cues but won’t let me do the simplest of steps.

I did get past this once (haven’t a clue what I did differently) and got to the step of duplicating the layer but then when I selected on the white spline under the one above it would put the bounding box on the first spline.

Surely it can’t be this buggy - other people are actually using this software?

Hi Steve, I had the same issues with the spline object duplication at the weekend. The handles on the upper object alter the measures of the spline object below… I´am working with BCC 2020.5 on a Win Avid 2020.4.

Armin

1 Like

BCC 2020.5 on Vegas, maybe there is a bug?

I might be able to work around this if the BASIC behaviour of selecting and dragging corner points would work for me. It’s so frustrating, it undermines any learning & confidence in the product.

1 Like

Well, it looks like a bug and yes this can be frustrating. As we speak I am running into an issue with an applied title in the Avid Timeline. I moved the title around and suddenly I am missing the “rigid run” parts, in the start and in the end of my title animation. After launching the title in Title Studio, the interface shows the correct animation, but applying it to the timeline again makes no difference. The animation is gone! …and yes the title in the timeline is long enough. Hmmm…

Hey Guys,

I’d like to help you with this but before I begin, I’d offer that the UI isn’t actually “buggy”, it’s just that there is a certain way to use it and just like all other software products, there is a learning curve.

Let’s start with some of the basics and address the first post on this thread.

To generate a spline parallelogram shape, follow these steps :

(1) Apply Title Studio to a clip in the host of your choice
(2) Launch the Title Studio custom UI
By default, a text track is generated but we can simply ignore that track for now
(3) select the rectangle tool from the toolbar
(4) drag over the comp window to create a rectangular shape
(5) select he pen tool from the toolbar
note that the rectangle’s bounding becomes red and a small square box will appear at each of the four corners
(6) click and drag the top left box to the left while holding down the shift key to constrain movement to the horizontal axis
note that any selected point (box) will become red when selected and that you can select and move several points simultaneously
(7) repeat this with the box on the bottom right of the shape

Can you please follow these steps and let me know if it works for you?

Thanks,
Peter.

Steve et al.
Let me help Peter out here, with this mini-tutorial.
Hope it helps

Regards
Douglas

Regarding the Rigid Run issue … it’s unclear to me what is causing the animation to change as I just tried this myself but was unable to repro the issue. Could you please provide exact numbered steps that I can follow to see if I can reproduce the same behavior that you are seeing?

Thanks,
Peter.

Peter,

To generate a spline parallelogram shape, follow these steps :

(1) Apply Title Studio to a clip in the host of your choice
(2) Launch the Title Studio custom UI
By default, a text track is generated but we can simply ignore that track for now
(3) select the rectangle tool from the toolbar
(4) drag over the comp window to create a rectangular shape
(5) select he pen tool from the toolbar
note that the rectangle’s bounding becomes red and a small square box will appear at each of the four corners
(6) click and drag the top left box to the left while holding down the shift key to constrain movement to the horizontal axis
note that any selected point (box) will become red when selected and that you can select and move several points simultaneously

Seems logical but in point 6 you say you can select and move several points - how? Clicking them doesn’t appear to work after the pen tool - Ctrl-click works in every other software but not here, if I do anything but click the point I want to move it immediately shifts the focus from the Spine Object 1 to the parent Texture - Spine Track) to create the parallelogram it makes sense (to me) to highlight and shift both top points thereby creating the same angle on both left and right sides but how can I select multiple points? As soon as I click the pen tool the point top left is highlighted (filled in white) with much reselecting the Spine Object 1 I can shift this point but no amount of clicking selects any other corners for me.

I’m sure it is a learning thing but this really isn’t intuitive and until something unintuitive is explained, grasped and embedded it is really frustrating. Any other software for manipulating shapes allows you to draw a bounding box over a shape and it selects all points within the box - can’t see anything like that here…

1 Like

Douglas,

Thank you, that did it to move the top ones (once I realised how sensitive it is to where you need to click into the second box to select that one. As soon as I let it go I then thought I’d move the bottom two points up so I hovered near the shape and nothing, I select the Arrow Tool then reselect the Pen tool and once again a barely perceptible shift in the red border to yellow happens and I click - the corner points appear, but I can’t select any of them, so the only apparent recourse is to delete the spline and start again but try and guess the height right first time around.

Sorry but this really isn’t the way any other software works…

I have just gone through about 100 cycles of

• select Arrow Tool
  • select Pen tool
  • hover until rectangles border changes from red to yellow and click - boxes appear in corners
  • click in the solid red box, holding down the mouse button and drag
    NOTHING

Hey Steve,

So following from step 6, if I hold down the shift key while selecting any non-red point, the point becomes red and is added to the current selection. To manipulate these points, while still holding the shift key, drag any red point in any direction. While moving the points, if you continue to drag the selection with the shift key enabled all movement is constrained along the axis that the software first detects, so if your first move is along the horizontal then movement will be constrained along that axis. If you release the shift key then movement is unconstrained. It takes a little getting used to but once you get the process down it because more natural.

I understand your frustration and I don’t disagree that there is room for improvement in the GUI. For instance, I would like to see a message displayed in a trough that runs along the bottom of the window that provides helpful tips to the end user. For instance, in this situation, I could envision a message that explains the shift key and point selection. Do you think this would be a useful addition to the product?

Thanks,

Peter.

Peter,

I don’t think a message is necessary if it was explained in the documentation and the tutorials, I’m sure whatever the technique is, once learned it will become second nature (though it is helpful if it corresponds to the way most software deals with selecting and moving points).

So I now have two parallelograms one above the other and want to shorten the lower one:

• I select the texture spline track (this is the parent of both parallelograms)
  • Click the pen tool
  • Hover the mouse near the lower parallelogram until the border turns yellow (not mentioned in documentation) and click. I get a solid white box in the top left point of the lower parallelogram points and empty white boxes around the other points.
  • I move the mouse to the top right white box (the border goes back to red) and try selecting the box with the shift key depressed - all the corner point boxes turn red, the selected track is now on the Spline Object 2 line. I can’t move any points.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Would it be possible for you to please send me the Title Studio project with the parallelograms? I can then try it on my systems to see what’s going on first hand and hopefully offer up a solution. My direct email address is peterm@borisfx.com.

Thanks,
Peter.

Steve and Peter,
I see a lot has been happening while I was asleep in Japan!
I am wondering if it would help by putting each parallelogram in its own container!
Just an early morning thought.
Regards
Douglas

Hang on a minute I think I may have just got things working, still a little temperamental but predictably so which is all we aim for with computers!

I just changed my laptops display settings - previously I had it set to 200% Scale and layout (I have a Dell XPS15 with a 4K oled display) changing it to 100% appears to have made a difference (apart from making the text REALLY small) and it now appears to allow me to select two corners of my choice. I suppose I ought to change it back and see if it stops again…

Steve

I spent a lot of time on this Spline tool with frustration! Sad that this can’t be fixed to be easier to use!
I also use a large 4k Monitor with Resolve. It takes to long time to pin point the squares and I also have same issues others have mentioned. I read prior manuals, Forum and have watched many videos.
I have purchased Continuum with Resolve only about eight days ago. I wish I had purchased the yearly subscription with After Effects. I would have purchased a Lifetime but I’m over 70 years old.
This Spline has stopped me from further Subscriptions at this time.
Thanks,
Cliff

Hi Cliff!

Sorry to hear that you have had a frustrating experience with the spline tools in Title Studio. If you would like to share a Title Studio project with me I would be happy to review it and try to find the pain points and help guide you through them. You can contact me directly off list at peterm@borisfx.com.

Cheers,
Peter.

super

Peter,
Thanks anyways I spent to much time already and it’s not the operator! I will just go back to do things in Fusion with nodes etc. I have tried other items in Continuum and will move on with more, Spline I will avoid for now! I will give it a try with the Wacom instead of the mouse.

Thanks,
Cliff

Hi Cliff,

I understand - but the offer stands, so should you wish to give the splines another shot please let me know what it is you’re trying to achieve and I’ll walk you through the process.

Thanks,
Peter.