Beginner: Workflow for multiple paint passes

I’m having a lot of fun learning Silhouette, what a cool piece of software! I come from a realtime/games engine/coding background and the areas where I’m getting most stuck are actually workflow related. I imagine there are going to be numerous approaches here, but would be interested to read about advanced users’ approaches.

I have 4 shots that are each ~300 frames long. There are multiple removes to do, on two different actors.

TL:DR: I’m having issues where I’m losing work, unable to go back and undo things I might want to undo/redo. So I keep starting over and over again. This is great for learning/practice, but I’d actually like to get this work done one day :slight_smile:

Question 1:

Would you start a new Silhouette project, and then have a ‘session’ for each of the shots? A session for each of the removes, render and then comp later elsewhere? What’s the relationship here?

Question 2:

What’s the workflow for doing multiple individual removes. I’m currently tracking what I want to remove, doing my auto paint, and then moving on to the next thing that needs removing. This gets repeated a few times. What do I do if I want to go back and re-do my first remove? If I delete the auto-paint, it rebuilds the frame(s), then I’m kinda stuck, because I’ve lost the rest of my work. If I choose not to rebuild the frame(s) then I get stuck in some kind of weird zone that I don’t fully understand tbh.

Should I be using multiple roto/paint nodes and comping? I’m sure there are multiple answers here, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome @cracklebox

I am sure other users will have their own opinions, but here’s some advice.

This is really an organizational preference. A project is a container for a session. If the shot is relatively simple, I would personally have 1 session per shot. If there are multiple tasks for the one shot, you may want to break down each task into a separate session.

Here’s some general Paint node best practices:

• Use one Paint node per source clip.
• Organize your painted strokes by creating and naming groups in the Auto Paint window–especially for complex paint jobs.
• Resist the urge to connect multiple Paint nodes one after another to a source clip. Working in this
manner will produce unreliable Rebuild results–especially if you jumped from one node to another while painting.

In your case, if you have multiple areas that you have removed and you want to redo one of them, you need to Rebuild the whole shot. Otherwise, you will have an incomplete shot. If you think you will be needing to go back and change previous work frequently and don’t want to Rebuild each time, then it will be better to have multiple paint nodes that are not in line with each other and composite the results together. The Paint Only output (right output) is used to composite the painted result and you composite each Paint node over each other to complete the shot.

Hope this helps.