Best approach to replacing this cardboard

I’m having trouble doing powermesh to place an image of my face on this board. Board unfortunately is a bit flimsy and gets blurry and points.

Would appreciate some tips on what the best settings might be.

Hi res Download link to footage: https://we.tl/t-CLqcUi59zP

Hi there,

You don’t necessarily need PowerMesh for this… and your lighting and resolution might not be a good fit for PowerMesh.

• Start tracking in the middle of this shot, around 2 seconds in.
  • Draw a shape around the entire board and go a few pixels outside the edges.
  • Mask out the hands and put them in layers over the top.
  • Try tracking 90% of the pixels in % of Pixels Used.
  • Up your zoom and rotation settings, it moves pretty quickly away.
  • Use adjust track if needed.
  • Use manual track if you lose it entirely.

Try those things and let me know!

Cheers,
Mary

1 Like

Hey Mary,

Thanks for the advice!

A couple questions:

1. what do I do if a blurry part of object goes out side the spline ( a few pixels)

1. Should I be striving to get the shape of the final matte to follow the exact lines of the cardboard?

2. Whats the best way to place an image on the cardboard after it has been tracked?

3. Is adjusting the track the same thing as adjust the blue planar surface? If so, can I use the blue edges to crop/mask out the image that I want tracked on the board? (hope that makes sense)

Thanks again!

Thanks! A couple more questions above :slight_smile:

1. What do I do if a blurry part of object goes out side the spline ( a few pixels)?
    Answer: The SPLINE is not the TRACK. The spline tells Mocha what pixels it should be looking at while it figures out what the track is doing, the SURFACE TOOL is what represents that track. You can either use adjust track to fix the position of the surface tool OR you can use motion blur and render it as an insert to try and hide the blur OR you can use Motion Blur in your host if you use a corner pin that supports Motion Blur. Or use a combination of these techniques.

2. Should I be striving to get the shape of the final matte to follow the exact lines of the cardboard?
    Answer: You should be striving for a proper SURFACE TOOL alignment, and if you need to use the shape for an isolation matte then you should also make sure the SHAPE is correct as well.

3. What’s the best way to place an image on the cardboard after it has been tracked?
    Answer: You can use either a corner pin that supports motion blur or use the insert module with rendered motion blur. The corner pin option gives you more control in your comp, the insert module gives you more control to see what you are doing inside of Mocha. Either one depends on your preference and the insert might take fractionally longer to render.

4. Is adjusting the track the same thing as adjust the blue planar surface? If so, can I use the blue edges to crop/mask out the image that I want tracked on the board?
    The SURFACE is the representation of the track. It’s also the outline of your export, be that corner pin or insert. The SHAPE can be used as an isolation matte, but will not define your track for you. Adjust Track uses corners to adjust the track, but the Surface Tool can still be moved anywhere. The Surface tool is just something that is a child of the track, the track is just math based on pixel motion, and you can’t see what that math is defining without the Surface Tool. Adjust Track is a four corner correction on top of the track.

Hope that makes sense.
Mary