Bezier splines going crazy!?

I am just starting to really dig in, and as far as tracking I love it! I have successful done tracks that were basically a hand keying job in AE. Good job Mocha.
The bezier throws me as well. I’m used to “really” breaking the handles. Total independence. What I see is a behavior wher the first break sets the disparity (as expected) but then any attempts to make a new adjustment maintains the initial differential. This is not useful when trying to accomodate the complex shapes I am matting.
Am I missing something?
Thanks
Kevin

—Quote (Originally by Point 1)—
This might just be me being thick…but are Mocha’s Bezier splines incredibly hard to adjust/break? I’ve been giving the X-splines a go for a while, but I can’t get on with them…especially the fact you can’t adjust the tightness as you go, but instead have to adjust the handles later.
—End Quote—

Thanks for posting these comments. Beziers are definately something that we are looking to improve both in terms of usability and speed: so this is a continued effort.

—Quote (Originally by Point 2)—
So I’ve gone back to bezier and when I try to adjust adjacent handles independently of each other it just won’t do it…the part of the spline determined by the ‘opposite’ handle always moves no matter what combination of shift/control/alt, etc I use. Is this normal or am I missing something?
—End Quote—

If you want to break the tangent handles: which I assume you are trying to do:
On the Mac press - Cmd (Apple) and select a tangent handle
On a PC - The key is (Cntrl)

—Quote (Originally by Point 3)—
Also, if I start drawing a bezier spline and then for some reason deselect that layer or doing something else and come back to it, Mocha won’t let me carry on with that spline, I have to start again. Is THAT normal?
—End Quote—

The tool does attempt to accommodate the workflow, so for example:

1. Select the Bezier tool (Add Layer Bezier)
  2. Start creating the spline
  3. You need to zoom in, so you select the zoom tool
  4. To go back to your Bezier then select the same (Add Layer Bezier) tool you selected initally: I agree this is not the best or more obvious solution: and this is something we will be addressing when re-evaluating the workflow

[QUOTE = Point 4]

Finally, will Imagineer be implementing rational B-splines (like in Autodesk systems) or Rotobezier splines (AE) anytime soon? The Bezier and X ones just don’t seem very ergonomic for roto…unless I’m using them wrongly!

Thanks for any help.[/quote]

I believe we are looking to improve our range of spline tools: I will leave this topic open for the product manager to comment on.

The Bezier tool is still maturing, and we are well aware of some significant improvements: We are looking at all these comments, and if anyone would like to make some suggestions on the problems, please feel free to.

I hope this clears up some of the issues you are having.

This might just be me being thick…but are Mocha’s Bezier splines incredibly hard to adjust/break? I’ve been giving the X-splines a go for a while, but I can’t get on with them…especially the fact you can’t adjust the tightness as you go, but instead have to adjust the handles later.

So I’ve gone back to bezier and when I try to adjust adjacent handles independently of each other it just won’t do it…the part of the spline determined by the ‘opposite’ handle always moves no matter what combination of shift/control/alt, etc I use. Is this normal or am I missing something?

Also, if I start drawing a bezier spline and then for some reason deselect that layer or doing something else and come back to it, Mocha won’t let me carry on with that spline, I have to start again. Is THAT normal?

Finally, will Imagineer be implementing rational B-splines (like in Autodesk systems) or Rotobezier splines (AE) anytime soon? The Bezier and X ones just don’t seem very ergonomic for roto…unless I’m using them wrongly!

Thanks for any help.

—Quote (Originally by Ijazn)—
The tool does attempt to accommodate the workflow, so for example:

1. Select the Bezier tool (Add Layer Bezier)
  2. Start creating the spline
  3. You need to zoom in, so you select the zoom tool
  4. To go back to your Bezier then select the same (Add Layer Bezier) tool you selected initally: I agree this is not the best or more obvious solution: and this is something we will be addressing when re-evaluating the workflow
    —End Quote—

Thanks for your reply…the thing with what you just suggested though, is that it starts new spline when you do that, rather than carrying on with the one you’re working on and there seems no way of linking two splines together.
A simple tool whereby your cursor changes when hovering over an open point allowing you to carry on with the spline from that point would be great.

That or having the ability to link two separate open splines together by selecting to two points to link.

I look forward to this update…I hope it’s soon!

New post by splinetime moved to a different thread: http://forum.imagineersystems.com/showthread.php?t=865

New post by splinetime moved to a different thread: http://forum.imagineersystems.com/showthread.php?t=865

I am just starting to really dig in, and as far as tracking I love it! I have successful done tracks that were basically a hand keying job in AE. Good job Mocha.

The bezier throws me as well. I’m used to “really” breaking the handles. Total independence. What I see is a behavior wher the first break sets the disparity (as expected) but then any attempts to make a new adjustment maintains the initial differential. This is not useful when trying to accomodate the complex shapes I am matting.

Am I missing something?

Thanks
Kevin