Cannot create X- or B-splines, cannot track!

Hello there,
New to the forum, but been using Mocha AE since it was first bundled with After Effects.
This is the first time I’ve attempted a track in the new Mocha AE CS6, and 9 times out of 10 it just isn’t working. What I’m describing below is apparently an intermittent problem-- as I was writing this, I tried my usual procedure over again and for some reason this time it worked. Does anyone have any ideas why this doesn’t seem to work most of the time?
I send my clip to Mocha via Animation > Track in Mocha AE, confirm all the import settings, should be ready to go.
But when I attempt to create a shape to track, using either X-spline or Bezier spline tools, nothing happens. I see none of the points I’m creating, none of the curves or handles. If I click a few different spots in the footage then hover my mouse over my first click, I am apparently able to close my invisible shape, and a new layer is created over in the left hand panel.
Everything in the Track tab is disabled even after I “close” my nonexistent shape. None of the overlay toggles seem to help.
Neither restarting the app nor the computer helps.
Source footage is H.264 from a Canon 7D, but I’ve also tried rendering my clip out of AE to a completely uncompressed .avi file (used to be my standard procedure in earlier versions of Mocha) and neither method works.
I am running CS6 on a Lenovo ThinkPad W701
Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64
Intel Core i7 1.6Ghz (quad-core)
16GB RAM
nVidia Quadro FX 2800M
Any insights GREATLY appreciated, thanks in advance for looking. This is really baffling me!

I had the same problem. I finally figured out that you must open MochaAE thru After Effects:

1. Start in a comp within After Effects
  2. Select the layer you want to track
  3. Go under the Animation menu to select tracking in MochaAE.
    This will open up your clip in MochaAE and you should be good to go.
    If you try to open a sequence from within MochaAE, then you will run into the problem you described.
    Bruno B.

I had the same problem. I finally figured out that you must open MochaAE thru After Effects:

1. Start in a comp within After Effects
  2. Select the layer you want to track
  3. Go under the Animation menu to select tracking in MochaAE.

This will open up your clip in MochaAE and you should be good to go.

If you try to open a sequence from within MochaAE, then you will run into the problem you described.

Bruno B.

Please do send it to my email! :slight_smile: It’s in my signature!

Hi There,
These sorts of bug reports are best sent here, http://www.imagineersystems.com/contact_form
Because that system allow us to track things a little better. But! I will try to address your issue here. Can you please send me a copy of your mocha log? It’s under help>view log and you can save it as a text file. I’d like to see if something abnormal is going on there.
Cheers,
Mary

Hi There,

These sorts of bug reports are best sent here, http://www.imagineersystems.com/contact_form
Because that system allow us to track things a little better. But! I will try to address your issue here. Can you please send me a copy of your mocha log? It’s under help>view log and you can save it as a text file. I’d like to see if something abnormal is going on there.

Cheers,
Mary

Hi Matt,
Thank you, I am going to try to check this against our bug list and talk to the devs. It might take a little while. Can you tell me what video card you are on? And what OS? And can you also email me your mocha log?
Thank you,
Mary

Please do send it to my email! :slight_smile: It’s in my signature!

Hi guys,
OK, just gonna ask some “just to make sure” questions. Do you guys have overlays turned on? And do you have Autokey on? Autokey is right next to the uberkey on the left of the timeline in mocha.
Cheers,
Mary

Hi guys,

OK, just gonna ask some “just to make sure” questions. Do you guys have overlays turned on? And do you have Autokey on? Autokey is right next to the uberkey on the left of the timeline in mocha.

Cheers,
Mary

Hi Matt,

Thank you, I am going to try to check this against our bug list and talk to the devs. It might take a little while. Can you tell me what video card you are on? And what OS? And can you also email me your mocha log?

Thank you,
Mary

yes autokey is on and overlays are on. i’ve tried every combo i can think of.

i do get a strange message when i load the file: in Mocha 3 “frame not rendered” or in Mocha 2 “frame out of range”.

the file that’s showing this problem is a mocha 2 originated file opened with mocha 3. perhaps there’s a migration problem? it hasn’t happened with any of my mocha 3 originated files, just mocha 2.

when i click around trying to create a spline i do see occasionally little red flickers around the cursor, like it’s drawing the point and then erasing it.

i also get on occasion “selection tool invalid”. the file seems to be corrupted somehow.

-m

same exact problem, but on a mac. just upgraded to Mocha 3.

same exact problem, but on a mac. just upgraded to Mocha 3.

yes autokey is on and overlays are on. i’ve tried every combo i can think of.
i do get a strange message when i load the file: in Mocha 3 “frame not rendered” or in Mocha 2 “frame out of range”.
the file that’s showing this problem is a mocha 2 originated file opened with mocha 3. perhaps there’s a migration problem? it hasn’t happened with any of my mocha 3 originated files, just mocha 2.
when i click around trying to create a spline i do see occasionally little red flickers around the cursor, like it’s drawing the point and then erasing it.
i also get on occasion “selection tool invalid”. the file seems to be corrupted somehow.
-m

thanks mary.
i did submit a bug report about it, too.
system is mac OS, 10.6.8, 2.4GHz dual quad core, 24G RAM.
video card is: ATI Radeon HD 5770
also black magic decklink HD installed
will email mocha log.
thanks!
m

thanks mary.

i did submit a bug report about it, too.

system is mac OS, 10.6.8, 2.4GHz dual quad core, 24G RAM.
video card is: ATI Radeon HD 5770
also black magic decklink HD installed

will email mocha log.

thanks!
m

Hello there,

New to the forum, but been using Mocha AE since it was first bundled with After Effects.

This is the first time I’ve attempted a track in the new Mocha AE CS6, and 9 times out of 10 it just isn’t working. What I’m describing below is apparently an intermittent problem-- as I was writing this, I tried my usual procedure over again and for some reason this time it worked. Does anyone have any ideas why this doesn’t seem to work most of the time?

I send my clip to Mocha via Animation > Track in Mocha AE, confirm all the import settings, should be ready to go.

But when I attempt to create a shape to track, using either X-spline or Bezier spline tools, nothing happens. I see none of the points I’m creating, none of the curves or handles. If I click a few different spots in the footage then hover my mouse over my first click, I am apparently able to close my invisible shape, and a new layer is created over in the left hand panel.

Everything in the Track tab is disabled even after I “close” my nonexistent shape. None of the overlay toggles seem to help.

Neither restarting the app nor the computer helps.

Source footage is H.264 from a Canon 7D, but I’ve also tried rendering my clip out of AE to a completely uncompressed .avi file (used to be my standard procedure in earlier versions of Mocha) and neither method works.

I am running CS6 on a Lenovo ThinkPad W701
Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64
Intel Core i7 1.6Ghz (quad-core)
16GB RAM
nVidia Quadro FX 2800M

Any insights GREATLY appreciated, thanks in advance for looking. This is really baffling me!

Hello there Mary,

Thanks so much for your reply! I’ll be sure to send future reports through that form you linked to.

In the meantime, it looks like my log file exceeds the forum’s limits on .txt attachments, so would it be okay if I forward it to you via email? Or, if it won’t limit its usefulness to you, I can also trim out all but today’s entries in the log to save space-- I didn’t want to jump the gun in case an extended history is useful.

Thanks again!

-Jared

Hello there Mary,
Thanks so much for your reply! I’ll be sure to send future reports through that form you linked to.
In the meantime, it looks like my log file exceeds the forum’s limits on .txt attachments, so would it be okay if I forward it to you via email? Or, if it won’t limit its usefulness to you, I can also trim out all but today’s entries in the log to save space-- I didn’t want to jump the gun in case an extended history is useful.
Thanks again!
-Jared