Changing Alpha Fill type with a node?

Greetings,

I have a situation where my TIFF source is set to Alpha Fill: “None” in order to show the foreground cutouts of the Roto node it’s connected into. I then have this going into the Foreground of a ‘Composite’ node and my Background input is coming from the same source TIFF, but it has a ‘Matte Repair’ on it first so I could lower the opacity of the Source for the part of it that gets shown in the Comp. But the opacity does not change on the source tied into the Matte Repair unless I make Source Alpha Fill: “Opaque”, then the ‘matte repair’ opacity change DOES show up, but now I see that the Roto cutouts no longer show up on my Foreground coming from the same source since I changed the Fill to “Opaque”.

I found two workarounds:
A: If I put a Roto node on the source prior to going into the matte repair node, and just draw a big rectangle shape that covers the entire clip, the Opacity change shows up, or

B: I can just make a duplicate of the source TIFF and set it to Alpha Fill: Opaque, and use this duplicate for the BG input version, and then there’s no need to put a Roto on the Background input.

But I was wondering if there was a node that would allow me to change the Alpha Fill with a dropdown menu to Opaque and just be able to use the one Source as an input for the FG and BG, and skip drawing out a Roto for the BG?

Thanks for the help!

All of the behavior that you are describing is expected.

A composite node composites a fg over a bg based on the fg matte. If the bg also has an alpha then the fg and bg alphas are also composited.

If you have the same clip connected into both the fg and bg of a Composite node, there is no reason to use a Composite node. Instead you should just render the result of the Matte Repair that is connected to the fg clip.