Commercial Attached - Workflow Questions

http://motivitypictures.com/Quicktime/mesoad.mov

I was wondering if anyone could give me a workflow for motion tracking this white board. This should be extremely simple. And it was for the most part however I am still not satisfied with the results. I’ve attached a picture of my basic setup. Picture-2

And when the Dr. rotates the board how should that be handled? I just went frame by frame however I cannot get the “grid” to actually work in a 3D space at such a sharp angle. Is this possible? It seems like it would actually be really nice to keyframe the “surface” control because then the “grid” would work exactly how you want it. I’ve attached a picture-3 but that grid is not possible over time because you can’t keyframe it.

Also when I copy and paste my corner pin data to AE the text gets distorted and then I have to manually adjust it especially with the anchor point in AE. Is there a way to work around this?

I love Mocha…so awesome…but I want to perfect it. The tutorials out there are nice but I don’t seem to be getting the same results.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

David

Hi David,

Have you seen Sasa Jokic’s tutorial? He does a very similar thing, although he has the advantage of tracking markers on the boards.

http://www.imagineersystems.com/products/monet/mocha_tracking_sasajokic.mov

J-P

Thanks for the quick replies!!

This is my first attempt at Mocha so I am learning it as I go. Thanks for the great feedback. I will try everything you both suggested.

Also if anyone out there want’s to mess around with the new 30 second commercial here it is at 1920x1080 as a .264. I find that it’s easier to work with a .264 in Mocha and then bring in my tracking data into AE where I export a full res version at the end. Just a faster workflow.

http://motivitypictures.com/Quicktime/mesoadmocha.mov.zip

Who knows!! If it’s good enough and you have PayPal account maybe I’ll deposit a large sum of cash!!!

—Quote (Originally by ross_shain)—
I wonder if you do not subtract the the inside and simply create one shape around the board will get you a better track. It looks to me that your subtract is too close to the edge here. Also, is perspective turned on in track tab?
Ross
—End Quote—
This was probably the best suggestions. It’s nearly flawless. I guess I was over complicating things.

I am also figured out how to set a master keyframe so that when the white board flips the surface will hold true as I adjust the track frame by frame.

I’m sure you have heard this a million times but what a program!!!

Glad that you have it under control! :slight_smile:

We’d love to see the finished spot when you get a chance.
Also curious if you have the rights to the footage? We are always looking for demo footage and this footage would be great to show.

Feel free to email me direct: rosss@imagineersystems.com

Actually a pure white board such as this is not so simple to track as there is no pixel pattern to recognize.

I wonder if you do not subtract the the inside and simply create one shape around the board will get you a better track. It looks to me that your subtract is too close to the edge here. Also, is perspective turned on in track tab?

This is seems to be a perfect shot to use the adjust track. In adjust track is when you can keyframe and finesse the tracks to make them rock solid. Especially useful with the extreme rotation going on. This is the way to “keyframe” and keep the track solid.

Lastly, I would recomend viewing the tutorials especially any that covers adjust track.

If you wish to post the shot, I can take a look.

Best,
Ross