Continuous crashing using Media Composer plugin on Mac

I’ve found Mocha to be totally unreliable so far. It is constantly crashing my Avid and it is a gamble as to whether it will save the work I do when I close out of it. How do I go about having someone from Boris look at this? I’ve had this issue from the very first day of installing. There must be some combination of hardware and software config that is screwing this up but I need help finding it.

Macbook Pro 2019 15 inch
2.4GHz Core i9
32GB 2400 DDR4
Radeon Pro 560X 4GB
Mojave 10.14.6
Avid Media Composer 2018.12.8
Mocha Pro plugin

Whenever I open Mocha through the effects editor in Media Composer, Mocha will open up fine but as soon as i save and go to close it, it crashes the whole system and I lose everything. This happens the first time i use mocha after a restart. It then starts working a bit better and crashes less regularly but it still crashes. I can’t rely on it at all to complete any work without it losing everything. Thoughts?

Are you using GPU processing or CPU? If GPU, can you try switching to CPU in Mocha preferences by turning off GPU processing and then restarting Avid? Let me know if that helps the issue. If not, we will try something else.

I have practically the same issue and practically the same MBP setup.

MC v21.3.0
macOS Big Sur v11.2 ● MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019) ● 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 ● 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 ● Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB

Have watched quite a few Boris FX “How To’s…” on YT and just by watching the screen, I can tell there is definitely an issue with Mocha Pro.

I have tried every combination of CPU/GPU settings I can see. A simple 1080p/23.976 ten second clip cannot even playback in realtime.

The render never works going back to MC.

I get the background plate and not the insert.

If there is some combination of settings, I would really appreciate knowing where to find them.

– Stan

What happens when you try to render the shot, does it render correctly or just not render back in realtime to the timeline?

I exit Mocha Pro, which brings me back to MC in Effects mode.
Rendering either crashes MC or the clip is rendered without the insert clip.

Hi Mary, thanks for replying. I tried turning off GPU rendering (Mocha and Avid crashed immediately when I went to restart). It seemed more stable when I was just using CPU to render. I switched back to GPU and it’s been ok since (although it’s only been an hour). I feel like it happens more at the beginning of a session.
CPU rendering will be much slower won’t it? I have crash logs from Avid if this helps?

CPU Rendering will be slower. But I am trying to pinpoint the crash. Can both of y’all please log these with our case reports so we can have them on record for the dev team and we will follow up there for logs and try to track this down. I think this might be a bug.

Please submit a case report here: https://borisfx.com/support/open-a-case/

Will do, thanks Mary!

1 Like

Currently, the only change I made which appears to have solved my issue is increasing the MP memory to 50% from 30%.

I think 20% was default.

Also, I reinstalled MP from a new download, just to see.

I went ahead and followed the link to submit a Bug Report.

1 Like

@Andi
Stan reported having much more success with a higher memory allocated. Can you give that a go?

If you’re still getting crashes, please send us a crash report as this will help us narrow down the cause.

Thanks Martin, I believe mine was set to 80% by default? This is under “Maximum memory usage” under the “System” tab of Preferences correct? I am still getting crashes every time I use it. I’ll send a bunch of crash reports when I open a case later on tonight. Is there a place where Mocha saves error reports? I have just been copying the info from the crash panel that opens when it goes down and that may just be an Avid thing.

And as a side note I updated it to the newest build last night and now every time I hit render on the remove tab it crashes immediately and disappears, causing Avid to crash too. So basically completely unusable. Will open the case as soon as I get a chance later on.

Thanks Andi, I’ve received your case, we’ll get into the weeds with it over on email.