Coordinating Multiple Tracks on an iPad tablet

This may be more of an After Effects issue, but I am trying to make two different tracks work with each other to give the illusion that a hand is dragging and dropping items on a iPad tablet that has been green screened. The problem lies in making the two tracks work, one for the finger and one for the hand held tablet itself. The finger track needs to stay locked to the axis and position of the screen otherwise it twists in a unrealistic direction since I can’t get it to follow thet tablet surface properly. I currrently have a shape in AE parented to the iPad null. The iPad null then parents to the hand null with rotation and scaled disregarded as it only follows the position of the hand null. Perhaps its an anchor point issue, but I’m still getting a lot of drift using this method. Logically this I’m thinking this should work, but it doesn’t currently. If anyone has done this before, your assistance would be a great help.
Thanks
Greg
:slight_smile:

This may be more of an After Effects issue, but I am trying to make two different tracks work with each other to give the illusion that a hand is dragging and dropping items on a iPad tablet that has been green screened. The problem lies in making the two tracks work, one for the finger and one for the hand held tablet itself. The finger track needs to stay locked to the axis and position of the screen otherwise it twists in a unrealistic direction since I can’t get it to follow thet tablet surface properly. I currrently have a shape in AE parented to the iPad null. The iPad null then parents to the hand null with rotation and scaled disregarded as it only follows the position of the hand null. Perhaps its an anchor point issue, but I’m still getting a lot of drift using this method. Logically this I’m thinking this should work, but it doesn’t currently. If anyone has done this before, your assistance would be a great help.

Thanks
Greg

:slight_smile:

Thanks Mary. I posted the question on the AE forum as well. Didn’t find much there on this issue.

Thanks Mary. I posted the question on the AE forum as well. Didn’t find much there on this issue.

Actually, I just got it to work! Using Mocha AE, I duplicated the Fill layer that contains the iPad motion track, including corner pin all the position scale and rotation data. I then masked off the area that I want to create as a drag and drop item next to where the finger is touching the screen. After creating a null in AE with the finger tracking data from Mocha AE, I used an expression (thisComp.layer(“Finger Null”).transform.position) on my Fill layer simply by using the pickwhip to reference the position of the Finger Null. This took me days to figure out, but it’s not hard once you know you to do, and I haven’t used expressions too much myself which probably made this task harder to figure out. I should point out that the new drag & drop item that now tracks the finger doesn’t at this point correspond to the scale of the perspective, but it does follow the rotation nicely. Perhaps there might be a work around using another way other than the mask without having to use
a 3D tracker like Synth Eyes. Might look into this a little more.

Actually, I just got it to work! Using Mocha AE, I duplicated the Fill layer that contains the iPad motion track, including corner pin all the position scale and rotation data. I then masked off the area that I want to create as a drag and drop item next to where the finger is touching the screen. After creating a null in AE with the finger tracking data from Mocha AE, I used an expression (thisComp.layer(“Finger Null”).transform.position) on my Fill layer simply by using the pickwhip to reference the position of the Finger Null. This took me days to figure out, but it’s not hard once you know you to do, and I haven’t used expressions too much myself which probably made this task harder to figure out. I should point out that the new drag & drop item that now tracks the finger doesn’t at this point correspond to the scale of the perspective, but it does follow the rotation nicely. Perhaps there might be a work around using another way other than the mask without having to use
a 3D tracker like Synth Eyes. Might look into this a little more.

—Quote (Originally by gfmarsh)—
Actually. Unless I’m wrong, I don’t think this can be done using Mocha AE since my icon needs to correspond in to tablet three dimensions. Synth Eyes could do this but I will have to use track points.
—End Quote—
You could upgrade to mocha AE v3 which has a 3d camera solver. Download a trial and check it out! :slight_smile:
I’m just trying to understand a bit further how you want this to work. As I understand it, you want to take an icon that is tracking to some fingers (like the user is picking it up and dropping it in), and then have that icon tracking to the iPad, like it is on the screen.
If so, I would suggest the best way to do this would be 2 different layers, one of which you turn off (0% opacity) when the icon leaves the tracked hand, and the other turns on when it hits the tracked iPad.
If there is any free fall between the icon leaving the hand and hitting the iPad, you could have a third layer to animate the fall.

—Quote (Originally by gfmarsh)—
Actually. Unless I’m wrong, I don’t think this can be done using Mocha AE since my icon needs to correspond in to tablet three dimensions. Synth Eyes could do this but I will have to use track points.
—End Quote—
You could upgrade to mocha AE v3 which has a 3d camera solver. Download a trial and check it out! :slight_smile:

I’m just trying to understand a bit further how you want this to work. As I understand it, you want to take an icon that is tracking to some fingers (like the user is picking it up and dropping it in), and then have that icon tracking to the iPad, like it is on the screen.

If so, I would suggest the best way to do this would be 2 different layers, one of which you turn off (0% opacity) when the icon leaves the tracked hand, and the other turns on when it hits the tracked iPad.
If there is any free fall between the icon leaving the hand and hitting the iPad, you could have a third layer to animate the fall.

Actually, reading it again, I see what you are trying to do, and that is indeed quite tough!
I’ll have to think about that one.

Actually, reading it again, I see what you are trying to do, and that is indeed quite tough!

I’ll have to think about that one.

Nice work!

Nice work!

Hi Greg,

I think this is an AE thing more than a mocha thing, if your tracks are working correctly in mocha. Our friends at Adobe asked me to direct you to the After Effects forum with details of what you’re trying to do and he will try to help you properly set up your shot: Adobe Support Community

Cheers,
Mary

Hi Greg,
I think this is an AE thing more than a mocha thing, if your tracks are working correctly in mocha. Our friends at Adobe asked me to direct you to the After Effects forum with details of what you’re trying to do and he will try to help you properly set up your shot: Adobe Support Community
Cheers,
Mary