Copy Position Data from AE layer to Emitter

Is it possible to copy position data from an AE layer to a PI emitter?

Yes, you should be able to do that in the AE timeline. Start by wetting the transforms pop-up in he filters control panel to World+Emitter. Then, in the AE timeline, twirl down to expose the World Center and Emitter Offset parameters. You can then copy keyframe data from the position parameter in AE onto the World Center and / or Emitter Offset parameters. Or you cold use the pick whip in AE to link properties or you can parent the emitter layer to a null.

Thank you for the feedback. Unfortunately, you can only affect particle offset and not the emitter position which produces different results. I really want to keep this product in my toolkit, but this problem has existed for some time now and it makes integration with AE very limited. Here is a video showing the issue. I still have PI version 3 and I can import position data. It’s odd that the plugin version can’t do it.

Hi,

That actually looks like a recently introduced bug in v14.0.0. The workflow you describe should work normally. We will aim to have this fixed soon in a 14.0.1 maintenance release. As a temporary workaround (admittedly awkward) you can Render directly to disk from within the Particle Illusion UI an then import that back into AE and it should work as expected - just choose one of the high quality ProRes formats for max quality.

The reason you saw it work one time in the PI UI but not the other time is that the first time you scrubbed the current time indicator in PI (which shows the problem) but the second time you hit the Play button and played from the start (which shows the right result).

Cheers,
Jason

Will the fix allow me to just pick whip the emitter offset to a layer and get the desired results or do you have to use the motion tracker?

You should be able to pick whip the emitter offset in addition to tracking with Mocha or directly keyframing the Emitter Offsets param. All three should work fine.

Do you have a timeline when the update might be out? I just purchased the plugin, but if I can’t get it to work it might be a deal-breaker for me. I see that there is a 15 day grace period for returns. Any chance that it will be out within that time period? Thanks.

We are estimating roughly 2 weeks for the 14.0.1 update, although it’s impossible to be sure about the date.

Depending on your needs you could install the previous 13.5.1 release in the meantime which does not have this problem. That version should work fine with your current license. Installers can be found here:
https://borisfx.com/legacy-downloads/?

If this becomes a deal breaker I would encourage you to reach out to our Sales team to discuss options.

Cheers,
Jason

Okay, just installed the previous version. Happy to see that it works as expected! My only other ask would be if there is any chance of making the offset capable of 3d coordinates now that the emitters support 3d space? Thanks.

Hi,

Glad to hear it is working for you as expected in 13.5.1.

3D emitter tracking integration is unfortunately not something that will be available in the 14.0.x version. This is a feature we will research for the spring 14.5. release. Note that the current version does already offer AE 3D camera integration, but you can’t yet drive 3D emitter locations from AE data.

Cheers,
Jason