Curl effect always bleeds thru to the background video

I just watched the Flaming title tutorial and attempted to replicate it in Media Composer. It mattered not what I set the Background to, but the Curl effect always effected the background image. I tried qpply to filter layer, no background, and I always wound up with the curl on the background image. I am using BCC 2020 v 1302.
What am I doing wrong?
Denny

Hi Denny,

Without seeing your project it’s difficult for me to know exactly what step is preventing you from achieving this effect. So here are some things that might trip you up.

(1) The title to which you are applying the filter must be a fully rendered item, so for you working in Avid you would need this to be an imported rendered title with alpha or a title rendered with alpha from the old Avid Title Tool - either way will work

(2) make sure that you set the background correctly - it’s the top filter that does the compositing and needs the background video so set the background to none for any filter beneath the top filter in the stack

(3) make sure that you set the apply to title matte correctly - only the first filter in the stack should have the apply to title matte option enabled

(4) when you apply the first filter to a title in avid, do not hold any modifier key - just drag that filter directly onto he layer with the title matte effect. the native title matte will be lost when you do this, but the filter will replace the alpha matte when you enable the apply to title matte button in the filter effects panel

Consider this scenario - I want to apply 3 filters to a title over a background, affecting only the title, not the background. Here’s how :
(1) drag the first filter onto the title
(2) in the effect editor, set background to none and enable the apply to title matte option
(3) option/alt+drag the next filter onto the title
(4) set the background for this filter to none
(5) option/alt+drag the next filter onto the title
(6) set the background for this filter to 1st below

I hope this helps!

Peter.

It did indeed. I created the title in Photoshop and saved it as a .png file. Imported into Media Composer, and followed your recommendations. After the Fast Film Glow was applied the title showed up as expected.
Thank you so much,
Denny

I still don’t understand what you mean so I can’t help you.