Customizing export?

We’re exporting shapes and tracking to Fusion .comp files, and the results are incorrect. Is there a way to customize how the .comp files are written? It’s a HUGE pain to have to correct each .comp file after export.

Ah, ok. Didn’t try that, but I will. Of course, it still doesn’t account for general conservation of keyframes, meaning, if the spline was animated from 210 to 220 and 380 to 390, we don’t need to export individual keyframes from 221 to 379.

First, it’s CRAZY slow for stabilize export. It can sit on “Analyzing motion… (Esc to cancel)” for 10 minutes or more. It’s only saving out keyframes for 4 points over 150 frames. Almost like you are DIRECTLY writing out the file frame by frame as opposed to building it in memory first and writing to disk once.

It’s also odd that it saves out a .comp instead of the more appropriate .setting file. The difference between them is subtle. Comps include things like console history, window layouts, path mappings, recent file listings, etc. The only one that Mocha outputs is the render range and current time, and neither of these is really important. We’d much rather have the option of outputting the .setting file.

We’d also like the option of saving out the file to disk AND copying it to the clipboard. Mostly because of the crazy slowdown mentioned above, but we’d like to have something permanent on disk AND something we can quickly paste into Fusion with one click.

As to what’s actually wrong with the file, there’s a few things…

The clip range / offset is sometimes wrong. I have it as 0-151 in Mocha, but it comes in as 1-151 in the comp. It’s inconsistent, and I don’t know how to reproduce.

The loader has the wrong aspect ratio.

The loader is set to use a clip list, even though there is none.

The stabilize doesn’t do the “center” or “zoom” transform.

The transform mode is set to “none” not “corner positioning”

The foreground of the tracker isn’t connected.

The 4 trackers are all “active” meaning that Fusion could re-track them. They should be inactive to prevent this.

It would be nice if there was also a general purpose Transform tool added that was able to take the roto splines exported from Mocha and stabilize them, too.

I think there was something else, but my temporary license expired, and I forgot what it was.

We’re exporting shapes and tracking to Fusion .comp files, and the results are incorrect. Is there a way to customize how the .comp files are written? It’s a HUGE pain to have to correct each .comp file after export.

First, it’s CRAZY slow for stabilize export. It can sit on “Analyzing motion… (Esc to cancel)” for 10 minutes or more. It’s only saving out keyframes for 4 points over 150 frames. Almost like you are DIRECTLY writing out the file frame by frame as opposed to building it in memory first and writing to disk once.
It’s also odd that it saves out a .comp instead of the more appropriate .setting file. The difference between them is subtle. Comps include things like console history, window layouts, path mappings, recent file listings, etc. The only one that Mocha outputs is the render range and current time, and neither of these is really important. We’d much rather have the option of outputting the .setting file.
We’d also like the option of saving out the file to disk AND copying it to the clipboard. Mostly because of the crazy slowdown mentioned above, but we’d like to have something permanent on disk AND something we can quickly paste into Fusion with one click.
As to what’s actually wrong with the file, there’s a few things…
The clip range / offset is sometimes wrong. I have it as 0-151 in Mocha, but it comes in as 1-151 in the comp. It’s inconsistent, and I don’t know how to reproduce.
The loader has the wrong aspect ratio.
The loader is set to use a clip list, even though there is none.
The stabilize doesn’t do the “center” or “zoom” transform.
The transform mode is set to “none” not “corner positioning”
The foreground of the tracker isn’t connected.
The 4 trackers are all “active” meaning that Fusion could re-track them. They should be inactive to prevent this.
It would be nice if there was also a general purpose Transform tool added that was able to take the roto splines exported from Mocha and stabilize them, too.
I think there was something else, but my temporary license expired, and I forgot what it was.

My license expired, so I don’t know which .mocha files were making the slow exports.
Regarding the center/zoom export, how are those currently supposed to be exported?

My license expired, so I don’t know which .mocha files were making the slow exports.

Regarding the center/zoom export, how are those currently supposed to be exported?

Could you double check the center/zoom export options? We have some shots we need to stabilize and need to be able to export the center/zoom for them.

Could you double check the center/zoom export options? We have some shots we need to stabilize and need to be able to export the center/zoom for them.

Ah, ok. Didn’t try that, but I will. Of course, it still doesn’t account for general conservation of keyframes, meaning, if the spline was animated from 210 to 220 and 380 to 390, we don’t need to export individual keyframes from 221 to 379.

Another unfortunate export thing… If a shot is from frame 200 to 400, but a spline is only animated between 290 and 310, the export has keyframes for 200 to 400. So you end up with HUGE files, and you can’t filter the timeline based on when there are keyframes, since there are always keyframes.

Another unfortunate export thing… If a shot is from frame 200 to 400, but a spline is only animated between 290 and 310, the export has keyframes for 200 to 400. So you end up with HUGE files, and you can’t filter the timeline based on when there are keyframes, since there are always keyframes.

I also just noticed that for the roto export, the polylines sent to Fusion have keyframes for both the inner and outer polylines, even though there is no outer polyline. So we effectively have ~140MB of completely redundant animation data being exported for this shot I’m working on.

I also just noticed that for the roto export, the polylines sent to Fusion have keyframes for both the inner and outer polylines, even though there is no outer polyline. So we effectively have ~140MB of completely redundant animation data being exported for this shot I’m working on.

Another thing not being set on the export…
When you Export Stabilization Tracking Data, the resulting .comp does not have a track that references the Fixed Frames Frame List.
Maybe the other changes I’m making are affecting this output, but we haven’t been able to get a mid-shot anchor frame to export at all.

Another thing not being set on the export…

When you Export Stabilization Tracking Data, the resulting .comp does not have a track that references the Fixed Frames Frame List.

Maybe the other changes I’m making are affecting this output, but we haven’t been able to get a mid-shot anchor frame to export at all.

Thanks for the feedback Chad.
It’s possible the offset for the comp file is not being applied in the export, so we will take a look at that.
As for the other requirements we will have to investigate and possibly confer with Eyeon.
It’s odd however that stabilisation is so slow for only 150 frames. Can you send me an example project file?
I can be reached at martinb[at]imagineersystems.com

Thanks for the feedback Chad.

It’s possible the offset for the comp file is not being applied in the export, so we will take a look at that.

As for the other requirements we will have to investigate and possibly confer with Eyeon.

It’s odd however that stabilisation is so slow for only 150 frames. Can you send me an example project file?

I can be reached at martinb[at]imagineersystems.com

Hi Chad,
Sorry we missed your last post!
All of the functions in the tabbed section of stabilise are generally for the rendering options in stabilise, not the export of data.
I will see if we can address getting the same options into the export so you don’t need to do any other steps, but you would simply need to zoom up your image in your compositor once you exported the data, like you would normally do.

Hi Chad,

Sorry we missed your last post!

All of the functions in the tabbed section of stabilise are generally for the rendering options in stabilise, not the export of data.

I will see if we can address getting the same options into the export so you don’t need to do any other steps, but you would simply need to zoom up your image in your compositor once you exported the data, like you would normally do.