Dealing with Fields

—Quote (Originally by tctdvm)—
I never know if I need to do a pull down, until after
I import a clip.
I can’t seem to adjust this after i import the clip.
—End Quote—

Unfortunately the only way to establish whether you need pull down or not is to import a clip and step through it.

We discussed solutions to improve on the assessment process and I will add your request to the list.

Do you have any specific suggestion on what you would like?

For now, please load clips and assess pull down requirements before you start the project.

As for changing between a pull down and non-pull down project - unfortunately it can only be set on new project setup.

I had to create a new project just to change the field processing.
—End Quote—

As per above, yes the decision to separate fields / work progressively has to be made on project setup and can not be altered after the fact.

The field order and pull down cadence can be be altered but going from field separated to progressive (interlaced) is not possible at present.

We are looking into these issues across the board and will add your suggestions.

T[/quote]

In maya, clicking both the MMB and the LMB, while holding down the CMD button, zooms.
I’d rather not use a modifier key, especially ‘z’ cause it forcees me to look down.

I’m not able to import a sequence of IFF files. They are native to both shake and Maya.

I sounds really lazy, but modifier keys aren’t optimal in most circumstances. Pressing control with the arrow keys means I have to take my hand off of the mouse.
In Maya, simply pressing the ‘z’ key alone is undo. It’s very freeing. :slight_smile:
Since the #1 selling point of Motor is speed, the most utilized commands should be activated by a single command, and the workflow should be as non-linear as possible.
—End Quote—

Noted, thank you for the input.

For me, rotoscoping is a combo of three disciplines. Keying (be it luminance, difference, color, channel isolation), Tracking, and Animation.
Animation accounts for a full 70% of all the frames I complete.
For Motor to really be a competative roto package it needs to excel at animating shapes.
Keying can save hours of hand animation or bring out detail that isn’t possible otherwise. A simple color corrector and channel reordering tool would allow me to build my own luminace keyer.
It could just be me. I never get to work on shots that had any planning. It’s usually some handheld camera for a reality tv show, or it was shot with something specific in mind, like on a set, and then passed on to various vendors (my clients) as ‘stock’ footage for them to work with.
I’m almost always cutting out people.

—End Quote—

We are looking at these options however not on the first release of Motor.

Is there a way to use a matte to hold out pixels that shouldn’t be tracked?
For example, if someone where to walk in front of the monitor being tracked, can I create a “don’t track this” matte for the person?
It’d be nice if I could assist the tracker more, as well. Maybe laying down a couple point tracks to help it predict where to track, especially areas that are occluded.
—End Quote—

It does not sound like you fully understand the tracker as yet.

1. Yes the layer order determines which layers (Mattes) are blocked out.
    i.e. Top layers blocks out pixels on lower layers
  2. As for assisting the tracker it’s a matter of understanding the tracker.
    If you can provide us with an example that you have in mind then we can advise you accordingly. We are busy developing our own edge tracking solutions which may address the issues you are having.
    Without seeing the exact example it’s difficult to tell so if you could please upload a frame or two for discussion.

Tx for the input!

i can’t read my post as i’m typing, either. I feel like i’m typing on drugs, with mittens on my hands. I’m using Firefox on OSX.

T
—End Quote—

Not sure what the issue is? I’m working on OSX and using Firefox?
Try Camino. I have found Camino better in many instances.

Lemme know

—Quote (Originally by Jay)—
Right click or Left and Middle click to zoom would be good.
The MMB currently scrubs the timeline - so thats a conflict
—End Quote—

Apologies!

The scrolling MMB - scrubs / steps fwd/bkwd
Clicking MMB - Pans

the option ‘seporate fields’ is greyed out in the clip → interlaced tap.
Being able to click on it would be nice.
—End Quote—

Your thoughts are added to the list.

Support for IFFs
—End Quote—
Sorry what you mean by Support for IFF’s?
Please elaborate…

[quote=tctdvm;322]
The MMB currently scrubs the timeline - so thats a conflict

When I hit the ‘z’ key, I loose the tool I was on.
—End Quote—
This is a OSX bug. Should just activate Zoom while holding down the ‘z’ key.

If I track into a bad area, how do I delete the tracking info for the bad frames.?
—End Quote—
We are busy developing the Curve Editor which will enable user to delete data to their hearts content.

For now unfortunately only option is to re-track.

Pressing the arrow keys left and right to advance frames, and up and down to advance keys.
—End Quote—
We have added an additional keyboard short cut - Ctrl + ← or →

I realize it’s a bit late in the game, but i’ve been swammped for a couple years and only have had time this week to dig in.
T
—End Quote—

Great to have you on board - albeit a bit late in the game.

Tx for the feedback, we are constantly discussing many of the issues you are are raising and it’s just a matter of priority. Functional features being top of the lest, then keyboard short cuts etc.

I never know if I need to do a pull down, until after
I import a clip.
I can’t seem to adjust this after i import the clip.
I had to create a new project just to change the field processing.

i can’t read my post as i’m typing, either. I feel like i’m typing on drugs, with mittens on my hands. I’m using Firefox on OSX.

T

the option ‘seporate fields’ is greyed out in the clip → interlaced tap.
Being able to click on it would be nice.

Support for IFFs

When I hit the ‘z’ key, I loose the tool I was on.
If I track into a bad area, how do I delete the tracking info for the bad frames.?
Pressing the arrow keys left and right to advance frames, and up and down to advance keys.

I realize it’s a bit late in the game, but i’ve been swammped for a couple years and only have had time this week to dig in.

T

—Quote (Originally by Jay)—
The scrolling MMB - scrubs / steps fwd/bkwd
Clicking MMB - Pans
—End Quote—

In maya, clicking both the MMB and the LMB, while holding down the CMD button, zooms.
I’d rather not use a modifier key, especially ‘z’ cause it forcees me to look down.

I’m not able to import a sequence of IFF files. They are native to both shake and Maya.

I sounds really lazy, but modifier keys aren’t optimal in most circumstances. Pressing control with the arrow keys means I have to take my hand off of the mouse.
In Maya, simply pressing the ‘z’ key alone is undo. It’s very freeing. :slight_smile:
Since the #1 selling point of Motor is speed, the most utilized commands should be activated by a single command, and the workflow should be as non-linear as possible.

For me, rotoscoping is a combo of three disciplines. Keying (be it luminance, difference, color, channel isolation), Tracking, and Animation.
Animation accounts for a full 70% of all the frames I complete.
For Motor to really be a competative roto package it needs to excel at animating shapes.
Keying can save hours of hand animation or bring out detail that isn’t possible otherwise. A simple color corrector and channel reordering tool would allow me to build my own luminace keyer.
It could just be me. I never get to work on shots that had any planning. It’s usually some handheld camera for a reality tv show, or it was shot with something specific in mind, like on a set, and then passed on to various vendors (my clients) as ‘stock’ footage for them to work with.
I’m almost always cutting out people.

Is there a way to use a matte to hold out pixels that shouldn’t be tracked?
For example, if someone where to walk in front of the monitor being tracked, can I create a “don’t track this” matte for the person?
It’d be nice if I could assist the tracker more, as well. Maybe laying down a couple point tracks to help it predict where to track, especially areas that are occluded.

Tim