Definitive 'Apply To Title/Key" workflow within Media Composer

It should be simple (click “Apply to Tile/Key” et voila!)…but it never is…
Is there a definitive step-by-step guide to applying Boris and Sapphire FX to BCC Titles in Avid to affect the title and the title only?
Ed

Hi Ed,

So here’s the recommended workflow for using the Apply to Title Matte feature in both Continuum and Sapphire filters :

(1) apply the Continuum or Sapphire filter to a title matte effect above a video track
(2) enable the Apply to Title Matte feature in the filter

• the background for the filter will automatically be set by the filter to composite on the first track below
  • you should now see the filtered title above the video background
  • but let’s say you want to stack multiple filters on the title:
    (3) alt/opt + drag the second filter on top of the title matte
    (4) in the first filter, set the background to none
    (5) in the second filter, the background for the filter will automatically be set by the filter to composite on the first track below
  • note that only the first filter has the apply to title matte feature enabled
  • but let’s say you want more than two filters stacked on an alpha matte:
    (6) alt/opt + drag the third/forth etc filter on top of the title matte
    (7) in all filters in the stack except for the last filter in the stack you need to ensure that the background is set to none and in the last filter the background should be set to first below
  • once again, note that only the first filter has the apply to title matte feature enabled

And that’s about it. I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Peter.

Hi Peter.
That sounds fabulous in theory; however, whenever I apply a filter to the title (S-Rays, say), and Apply it to Title/Key, I don’t achieve the requisite filtered title. My accomplishments are instead so much less triumphant…
Ed

The newer Avid titler does not support applying effects with intact alpha so that might be the problem. (At least that was true the last time I checked.) As an experiment try the older Avid Title Tool or try stacking an effect on top of a title generated by BCC Title Studio or on an imported title graphic (say PNG). Does that work for you?

-Jason

Hi Jason.
I’m using BCC Title Studio with this (Avid Titler always being a bit challenging). Following Peter’s instructions I merely achieve a solarising effect on my composite image. Any ideas?
Ed

Hi, Ed,

One critical thing to understand is when to use the Apply to Title Matte checkbox. You should ONLY turn that on if you are applying a filter directly to an Avid Title Tool element or a clip with with embedded alpha such as an imported PNG/PSD with alpha. In your case you are using Title Studio to generate the title so you actually won’t turn on the Apply to Title Matte option at all. Try it like this:

• Background clip on V1
  • Title Studio applied to filler on V2. Change the Background menu in Title Studio to None which will tell it not to composite over the background right away. It will appear like text over black temporarily but that’s what you need to pass the alpha long to the next effect.
  • ALT/CTRL+Drag S_Rays on top of the Title Studio track so you now have two effects stacked on the same clip. Now if S_Rays is the final effect, change it’s Background menu to “1 track below” to do the final composite.

Does that work for you?
-Jason

Also, even if you did use an Avid Title Tool element or imported graphic with embedded alpha (instead of Title Studio), you only turn on the Apply To Title Matte in the FIRST effect in the stack. For any other effects stacked on top of it they don’t need Apply to Title Matte enabled since the alpha is already extracted in the first effect. Then make sure the Background is none for all the filters in the stack except for the last filter which will do the real composite over the background.

Hi Jason.
Thanks for your responses. If I Alt/drag (or just drag S_Rays) onto 1.1 and set the background to 1 track below, I have a black screen with effect parameters in vision. If I Alt/drag the effect onto the BCC Title itself, I have the composite with the parameters, but the title remains unaffected no matter if I alter them.
Ed

Hi, Ed,

One thing to watch out for is that S_Rays does not generate rays by default when applied to black text (as opposed to, say, white text). I’d suggest using something like BCC Gaussian Blur or S_Blur as a quick initial test just to confirm that the effect is modifying the alpha but not the background. Does that work for you. Then with S_Rays you can get it to generate a result from black text if you increase the Rays from Alpha control (near the bottom).

-Jason

Jason. The test works in all manner of ways; many thanks for your time.
Take the rest of the day off.
Ed

Glad to hear that’s working for you! Once you’re comfortable with that workflow, we can show you how to apply transitions between text without affecting the background in Avid. That requires yet a few more workflow complexities - if you can believe it!

-Jason

Oh you know I can believe it, Jason…!
e