Detail/Color in Paint

I was just trying out the new Color/Detail modes on the paint tool (and reading up on the corresponding Extract Detail node). One question - the labels used are ‘Color’ and ‘Detail’. In frequency separation you get low/mid/high frequency layers which correspond to detail and tonality.

So does Silhouettes’s version actually do additional filtering in the ‘color’ mode to only affect color, or is this possibly just an ambiguous label, and really just refers to tonality? Does the color mode just represent a traditional low frequency layer or is there chroma/luma filtering added?

BTW: I think this is very nice and much appreciated feature.

Silhouette separates the image into color/tone and detail layers.The default detail level is set to 1 which selects fine details such as skin blemishes, pores, hair, and wrinkles. A Detail Level of 0 is coarse detail, .5 is medium detail and 1 is fine detail. It may help to understand what Silhouette is doing by taking a look at the Paint node and pressing 8 to view the color layer and 9 to view the detail layer. When the color and detail layers are assembled, the result is a normal image.

Hi Jan. The detail layer is computed and essentially subtracted away from the base layer, resulting in just color information (low frequencies) with detail removed. When you’re painting the detail layer is added back in on the fly.

Thanks Marco & Paul.

Yes, I understand how frequency separation works and have used it elsewhere. Often we have to build the layers manually by doing the blurs and math ops. So getting it pre-built in the tool is fantastic.

But the ‘color’ layer is just the low frequency layer (I just confirmed by changing the viewer). When I clone the entire low frequency layer gets cloned, not just color information.

I think I’m just getting hung up on the word ‘color’ since I think of this as a very specific mode, where specifically chroma gets copied, but not luma. In the low frequency mode you still have both, it’s just that the luma changes are super low frequency.

I was just thinking that maybe there is a better way of labeling that instead of ‘color’.