Dim/dark playback of clip with multiple BCC Effects

I have the BCC Pan and Zoom Stacked on top of the BCC Lens Correction on a 13 second clip in Media Composer. I have NO automation in either effect, but the clip playback shows up very dark, until I hit stop. But if I try playing the clip with the Effect Editor open then the clip plays back WITHOUT dimming but the frame rate drops to like 5fps or something. It seems that everything works fine if I just split the clip into less than 8 seconds chunks.

For my reference, is there any documentation that talks about clips dimming/darkening during playback or framerate dropping on unrendered clips?

Thanks!

Hi! Can you please tell us a little bit about your system? We would like the following information : system specs (hardware/OS/graphics card), version of Avid MC, version of continuum, project settings (frame rate/interlaced/progressive/size/length of clip) - we will take this information and use it to set up a system in our labs and attempt to reproduce the issue.

Thanks,

Peter.

HI Peter,

System Specs:
Media Composer 8.4.5 Pro Tools 12.4 Mac Pro 2013, OSX Mavericks 10.9.5 • 2.7GHz 12-core with 30MB of L3 cache • 64GB (4x16GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC • 1TB PCIe-based flash storage • Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM

FX:
BCC/Sapphire Version 11

Project Specs:
1080p, 24fps

Clip Length:
Having the BCC Lens Correction and BCC Pan and Zoom effects (both with no automation) nested on a 13 second clip causes the clip to go very dim when watching playback in the Record Monitor.

I also have two shorter 7 second clips that should be viewable at the same time like Picture-in-Picture (on track V1 and V2 with same BCC effects). I can see them together when I scrub through with the mouse, but realtime Record monitor playback goes completely black, unless I render them.

Playback Info:

• Using lowest quality setting, Yellow/Yellow Rectangle (I think this is 1/16 resolution)
  • As mentioned before, if I try realtime playback with the Effect Editor open, the clip/s are visible but the frame rate drops to the super slow ~5fps playback.

Let me know if you need any more info.
Thanks!

Do you have non non-realtime effects applied in the stack? I.e. any effects that are not “green dot”? Pan and Zoom and Lens Correction are both green dot effects meaning they use Avid’s “real-time” render pipeline. But any effects that show up as non-realtime “blue dot” effects will display as black in Avid during playback unless rendered. That is not unique to Continuum filters but is a general behavior in Avid. If you open the effect control pane you can play back the blue dot effects without them turning black but with the effect control pane open they playback every frame sequentially no matter how long each frame takes to render (as opposed to trying to keep up with realtime movement of the time indicator). Note that an effect can be part of avid’s “real time” green dot pipeline even if it doesn’t literally render with real time performance. Perhaps you have some other blue dot effect in the pipeline?

Nah no blue dot effects, just the Lens Correct as Effect 1, then Pan Zoom nested on top as Effect 2.

We have not been able to reproduce this in house so far. Would you be able to send us a project file (without media)? You could send it offlist to jclement at borisfx dot com.

Will do. I’ll send the sample project as soon as I can.

Thanks!