DNxHD QT Reference Not Working

Hello,
Every time I load up a DNxHD QT reference file, the screen is black. If I load a regular DnxHD qt file, there is a picture.
Does Mocha not read Quicktime reference files?
Salud

Hey Mary,
thanks for the reply! The file is DNxHD 115 exported from avid Media Composer 6.5. It does play in Quicktime, VLC and After effects. Martin from Imagineer systems might think it could be AVid Codec 2.38 issue, but I’ll have to check to see if I have installed 2.37 or 2.38.
I used to be able to use Avid DnxHD codec and Avid DnxHD quicktime reference files, so there something that happened since I installed Avid 6.0 and 6.5.
Again - thanks for the reply.

Hey,
Yes, I have the latest NVDIA driver for my Quadro 4000 (320.00). It seems since I have AVID MC 6.5, Avid codecs 2.38 are installed with that version.
I’m going to try MC 7and the new Avid Codecs 2.39.
Salud

Hey,

I reported this same issue a wile back, bit it’s still occurring. I have Avid MC 7.02. Mocha AE 3.2. Adobe CC, latest quicktime and VLC.

My Avid Quicktime ref are still black screens, but so are my DNxHD 36 and 115 files I ecport out from Avid.

All the DNxHD files play fine in After effects, QuickTime and VLC. I’d love to upload 2 files files for oyu guys to try and let me know if you are experiencing the same issue.

This appears to be an ongoing issue with any Avid codec above 2.3.7. We have the problem logged, but have as yet been unable to build a solution.

The only workaround at present is to install the 2.3.7 codecs or convert the output to a different format. We apologise for this, as obviously this takes time and is not ideal. We will continue to investigate the issue.

That sounds like a codec issue, I am not sure mocha can read reference files if they have specific codecs. Usually we tell people to please make sure you can open the file in quicktime. If you can open the file in quicktime and have double-checked that your quicktime drivers and video drivers are up to date, then your files should work in mocha. There are certain types of codecs and file types that mocha can’t read and quicktime can, these are usually native, unprocessed codecs off of cameras. It may be that you need to convert the file to something mocha would have an easier time of reading, like a quicktime or an image sequence. If your screen is black for clips but not for images, it is most likely the codec for the movie files.
As a basic rule, mocha usually can’t read anything quicktime can’t. So, if you’re ever unsure if mocha can read your files, you can test it again that way in the future. Rarely, though, quicktime is able to open files that mocha can’t. It’s just a good way to test the files before you load them into mocha.
However, you may want to try converting the clip to a file we know for sure that mocha recognizes, like a TIFF or JPEG sequence, to test and make sure that mocha is running properly. If it works on TIFFs, it is operating normally. But it sounds like your codecs are, for some reason, not registering with mocha at all. If you have to use “all files” to load in a file, mocha probably won’t read it.
While your clip files may be listed on our list of supported files (as an .MP4), it might be that there’s some sort of custom camera codec on your footage that is hanging mocha up. The reality of the situation is while we support many file types, we don’t necessarily support all of their compression codecs.
Any other quicktime format should work really, or another type of .avi, even h264 seems to work. So can you try changing the format of your movie to something like a standard quicktime?
Mp4 is compressed in a way that mocha has trouble with. Try using just .mov with a standard codec.
Cheers,
Mary

No problem, ok, check your codec installations. I am sure Martin already told you this, but also double check and make sure your video card drivers are also up to date (those will be on the support downloads for your video card’s on their respective homepages)…