DPX and 10 bit, 12 bit, 16 bit

Silhouette is the main app in question but Mocha also factors in since the footage will be passed through both.

I’m doing dustbusting work with silhouette and I’ll need to do some removes with Mocha later. I saw posts from 2014 regarding Mocha and DPX sequences, noting that Mocha prefers 8 bit or 16 bit and I’m assuming that Silhouette has similar limitations. This is a film, so 8 bit is not an option and I’m wondering if this bit depth limitation still relevant. If not then I’d prefer to use 10 or 12 bit due to file size advantages

This begs another question. If the apps are compatible with 10 bit DPX, will 12 bit, much less 16 bit will really produce better results or faster/easier workflow?

Silhouette converts DPX log files to either 16 or 32 bit linear float depending on the session bit depth. DPX linear files become either 16 or 32 bit float depending on the session bit depth.

For information on how Mocha treats DPX files, please post in the Mocha forum.

So then performance would be greater with 16 bit source footage; less taxing on resources?

Using a 16 bit float session will provide better performance than 32 bit float, but will be pretty close in quality.

Gotcha. Thank you for the clarification.

To answer your other question, Silhouette should properly decode 10, 12, and 16 bit DPX. In all cases it converts to scene linear float (either 16 or 32bpc, depending on Session depth).

Hi Paul. Thanks for further clarification. I decided to go with 16 bit source footage after a test finding that the file sizes aren’t that much bigger. I’m assuming the decode will be faster with 16 bit footage (as opposed to 10 or 12) as an added benefit since that’s a common denominator of the two session depths.