DPX Rec709 to Silhouette

Simple question:
How to import DPX with Rec709 colorspace?

Welcome @jacek

Silhouette tries to figure out whether a DPX file is logarithmic or linear based on the file’s header information. Sometimes the program used to create the DPX file writes the wrong information into the header causing Silhouette to think it is Logarithmic when it is Linear and vice versa.

To explicitly set whether or not the file is Logarithmic or Linear

• Select the source media in the Sources window.
  • In the Object window, change the Interpretation pop-up menu from Auto to either Lin or Log.

Setting the Viewer Colorspace

• Make sure that the Display Options icon is enabled above the Viewer.
  • In the Color Management toolbar, set the Colorspace and View Xform according to your image specs.
1 Like

I tryed, but no luck.

When I enter from nuke via Silhouette Paint plugin - then colorspace is correct.

Just looking at the colorspace you have that set as REC709 should it not be set to linear and viewed as rec709 (which you have).
If it is correct via the plugin then you just need to see how Nuke is handling the conversion to linear and do the same with Silhouette, and it will be correct.
Interested to see how you go :smiley:.

Problem is memory caching. After chenges - I dont see differences. Only after clear cache I see changes.

Hi Marco,
I have a similar situation. A few follow up questions.

1. The manual seemed to suggest that the View Transform selection was as sort of monitor LUT rather than a source color space. If I understand you correctly, my assumption is wrong.
  2. In the Preferences / Color Management Panel: The DPX/Cineon Working Colorspace selection is used to convert log to linear when set to linear and when set to log the setting does nothing? So If my footage is linear and I set this to linear, it will effectively be turned off?
  3. Does this master setting in the preferences, color management tab directly affect the Object / interpretation, or is this a separate function? Does the object / interpretation affect the render?
  4. My footage is P3DCI color space. In order to get the correct look on my viewer, do I need to apply a P3DCI transform in the Display / LUT selector?

Thanks,
Blake

The OCIO controls are colorspace conversions, but only affect the display.

The DPX/Cineon Working Colorspace preference determines whether or not log files are linearized. When set tp log, a log file remains log and no colorpsace conversion occurs. If you are working with a linear file, it will not be affected by this preference.

The DPX/Cineon Working Colorspace preference only affects log Cineon and DPX files and the colorspace conversion does affect the render.

Yes, you would need to apply a P3DCI transform in the Viewer.

Note: In the upcoming release of Silhouette 2021, there are OCIO nodes that can change the colorspace of the files themselves.

Marco,

Thanks for the detailed response. A couple follow up questions.

So, the “view xform” setting of Rec709 is transforming the viewer to Rec709 to match your monitor setup. But what is it converting from if the clip settings don’t designate “which” linear color space the source clip was encoded with?

So then with the upcoming release, will the OCIO nodes have a lot more options for color space conversion?

Suggestion: Currently, there are viewer color space options for Linear, gamma 1.8, gamma 2.2. I’m guessing these are all linear and the one labeled “linear” is a 2.4 gamma. This could be made more clear in future versions, Ex: linear 2.4, linear 1.8, linear 2.2.

~WRD0000.jpg

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

Silhouette uses the default OCIO config file and the choices you see in the menu are what is included in that config. Different config files have different colorspace choices. You can load other OCIO config file, like ACES, using the Color Management > OCIO setting. In addition, Silhouette 2021 will support the OCIO Roles feature.

OCIO Color Management
Colorspace
Sets the input colorspace of the scene. Silhouette automatically tries to determine the colorspace based on the data in the file and other information from the header. If a colorspace can’t be detected, linear will be selected.

View XForm
If you are using a custom OCIO configuration with multiple Display options, the XForm pop-up menu appears for you to choose the colorspace of the display. The default OCIO configuration only has one display option. Additional devices can be added in a custom configuration and will show up in this menu.

Gotcha. So I guess, I’m wishing there were more detailed information and more options in the default config file that comes with Silhouette like in Resolve so that a small facility does not need to impliment a custom config (another feature request).

The Roles feature looks useful for a larger facility but doesn’t really help the engineer that has to set everything up. For example, a color space is set to linear but there are different white point and gamma settings that can be used and Rec709 is a different color space than DCI-P3 but they’re both linear.

It’s nice that the program can automate some things by looking in the file header, however It’s a little frustrating trying to get everything unified when you can’t see what’s going on under the hood.

Maybe this is all moot if there is a recommended custom OCIO config file that includes all of these extended options but, I’m not aware of any.

Give the Aces OCIO config file a try: OpenColorIO-Configs/aces_1.2 at feature/aces-1.2-config · colour-science/OpenColorIO-Configs · GitHub