Dup error in MEdia Composer

Since upgrading to BCC 2021.5 and Media Composer 2021.6 I am getting this error when applying any BCC effects to an imported alpha channelled graphic in Media Composer (.png, .PSD etc)

MC functions OK and effects all work but am unable to save the project or even delete the BCC effect - if I try I get this Media Composer error message:

Range specified for Dup is outside range of component

(I have flagged this error with Avid and they keep pushing me to Boris as the problem - not Avid)

Jason has knowledge on this topic. See below.

Actually we have been working with Avid engineering on a related issue. They say they have a fix internally which they would hope to include in their August Media Composer update but we are still working to confirm this. It is not specific to Continuum but can affect all third party filters although the details can vary from system to system. The only workaround we’re aware of would be to go back to Media Composer 2021.3 or earlier. If that doesn’t resolve your issue please let us know.

Cheers,
Jason

1 Like

Thanks Jason

Will do a roll back on MC and let you know the outcome

Hello Jason

Just wondering if you had any further insight from Avid engineers in relation to this issue?

I have as yet been unable to do a rollback to 2021.3 as the system is currently in the middle of another long form project and they are hesitant to let me do a version change mid project.

But this error is killing me on the various other things I am working on!

thanks

We expect this to be fixed by Avid when the next version of Media Composer is released.

thanks Jason

Do you have any reference or bug number from the Avid side I can reference?

I believe they are tracking it as MCDEV-14917

thank you

Hi

Latest feedback from Avid on this issue:

Entered on: 9/21/2021 10:44 AM Entered by: Joe

Hi Simon,

Sorry for inconvenience.
If this issue is related to MCDEV-14917, this issue has fixed by engineer.
It was planned to be included with Aug release but we didn’t have release on that month.

For proper confirmation, I think we need test from Boris after released.
We are planning to release new version this month so I’ll let you know
once 2021.9 is out.

Best Regards,
Joe
Avid Customer Care | APAC

Hi

Just got the below message from Avid:

Hi Simon,

We released new Media Composer 2021.9 last night.
Because this bug was reported internally it doesn’t written in readme but
fix should have included in this version.

Can you have try or ask Boris for confirmation tests?

Can you confirm test results from Boris end in relation to bug?

thanks

Hi Jason

An update on this bug.

After install of 2021.9 the Dup error seems to have been resolved from Avids end. I can apply effects and they all function as expected, project will save withoput the dup error and so on.

However I am still getting a MC crash whenever I apply a BC effect to any sort of imported graphic with alpha channel if I try and remove the effect, either with the remove effect button or through the undo list. As soon as the effect is removed MC crashes. I have already flagged this with Avid and they have already pushed me back to Boris as the cause of the crash.

Any thoughts, knowledge on this?

Thanks

Hi, Simon,

Glad to hear the Dup Range error appears fixed for you in MC 2021.9.

We have not heard of that crash when removing an effect. Is it only when working on graphics with alpha? We will try to reproduce this in our QA labs and get back to you.

Cheers,
Jason

Hi Jason

Yes it is specific to alpha graphics. Does not occur when applied to footage.

I have been playing around with a little more just now - so if I apply an effect (eg Rays Puffy) by option dragging it directly onto a graphic layer, then remove it, MC crashes.

If I apply the effect on a video layer above the graphic (then edit the effect - apply to title mat, then invert alpha to get correct effect process) things are stable - I can remove the layer/effect and there is no crash.

So its only if I apply the effect directly to the specific clip when MC crashes when effect is removed

Thanks for the additional info, Simon!

We have reproduced a related but slightly different crash in our QA lab. The crash doesn’t happen when removing the filter for us, but rather when hitting Undo (i.e. undoing the removal). However, the crash happens in more than just Continuum filters and the crash stack looks like a host-side issue. We have raised this with Avid Engineering and will pursue it with them.

Cheers,
Jason

Thanks for the update Jason

Can you let me know any feedback you receive from Avid Engineering (Case number etc if raised) so I can forward that back to the Avid Dev guys I have been dealing with on the issue.

Thanks

Hi, Simon,

The Avid team is tracking this issue as MCDEV-15505 on their side.

Cheers,
Jason

thank you.

FYI from Avid …

Current Response:

Entered on: 10/26/2021 10:52 AM Entered by: Joe

Hi Simon,

Quick update for this issue.
Engineering seem to be found the root cause of this crash.
Planning to include fix in November release (2021.11) at this point.

Will keep you updated with any progress.

Best Regards,
Joe
Avid Customer Care | APAC