Easy/Quick way to introduce new tracking shapes

Greetings is there a quick way to introduce a new tracking shape or an additional tracking shape to an existing layer?

For example, I have layer that has a dozen hair strands shapes and head roto shape in a sub-layer, and I tracked out the first 38 frames using a single roto shape, “track shape 1”. But now I need to add in additional shapes for tracking along with the original track shape, starting at frame 39, but I want the opacity of the the new track shapes to be automatically set to ‘0’ for “track shape 2”, “track shape 3” for frames 1 to 38 automatically, since I do not want the new shapes to be visible where they were not used, in case I needed to retrack 1 to 30 and forget which shapes were used for frames 1 to 38.

Thanks for any help on this.

Clicking the Opacity icon in Object List turns the shape off and sets a hold keyframe so you only have to click the Opacity keyframe twice–once to set it to 0% on a frame and again on another frame to set it to 100%. All frames before it is 0% hides the shape and all frames after 100% show the shape.

Ok so in the case of creating an additional tracking shape at Frame 39, all I need to do after, is go to frame 38 to double click on the opacity icon for the 0% opacity keyframe to be created automatically, so that the new shape opacity would be 0% for frames 1 to 38, is that correct?

Is Silhouette programmed to obey a 0% opacity keyframe for all frames up to the 0% keyframe if it does not detect any other opacity keyframe before it?

In the case though of duplicating the tracking shape used for frame 1 to 38 and modifying it to track frames 39 to 60, would double clicking on the opacity at frame 38 also make this duplicate shape 0% opacity for frames 1 to 38, like when creating a completely new tracking shape?

No, do not double-click. Clicking the Opacity icon toggles from 100% to 0% or 0% to 100%. So, go to frame 38 and click Opacity once. This sets the Opacity to 0%. Then go to frame 39 and click the Opacity icon again. This sets the Opacity to 100. All frames between1-38 are 0% and all frames after 39 are 100%.

Yes, this is what Hold keyframing does.

Do not use double-click. If you copy a shape with Opacity keyframes, get rid of the previous keyframes and set new ones for the appropriate time frame.

Experiment with setting Opacity keyframes in the Object List and then scrub through the Timeline while viewing the alpha channel. It will make sense when you see it.

Thanks Marco! Single click to set opacity keyframe to 0% or 100% got it. Thanks for the additional information on the hold keyframe and duplicating the track shape!

Hi @marco,

In my sequence I tracked out frames 38-61 using one shape, but then for frames 61-85 I tracked out another shape. I’m running into problems though because, what I actually did was create a “track testing” second layer with just the new track shape only and kept redrawing the track shape until the track motion looked as tight and clean as possible.

==========================================================================

Once I was satisfied with how the TEST LAYER track looked for frames 61-85, I copy and pasted in the test shape onto the first layer that has the tracking and roto for frame 38-61. But I noticed that the position and size of the TEST LAYER track shape had changed when pasted.

I then deleted the existing keyframes I had at frames 63-85,

and then went ahead to copy-paste the Keyframes from the Transform:Matrix of the TEST LAYER for frames 62-85 (I did not paste frame 61, since I was going to keep that frame on the tracking data of the first track shape), and then I noticed that the TEST LAYER track shape actually moved to the correct location after pasting the TEST LAYER tracking data. But all the roto shapes had shifted down and to the right.

Is there any way to get this to work using a second testing/tracking layer, or is it a REQUIREMENT that I create the “frame 61-85 tracking shape” and track it within the intended layer?

Thanks for some help and clarification on this!

You should track all shapes within the same layer.

1 Like