Error: Unable to replace pixels

Hi,
Just bought Mocha Pro for the remove tool. Been following some tutorials and had no problems with some “test” shots. But I’m working on my first actual removal shot, and I thought I had it set up correctly, but clearly I don’t.
I’ve created my cleanplate. My cleanplate spline layer is on top of my tracked layer and linked to the tracked layer.
Illumination model “None”, got “Use Cleanplates Exclusively”. But when I click to test a render I get the following error: “Unable to replace pixels in all images in the selected range.”
Both layers have the ranges set identically.
Any ideas?

Hi,

Just bought Mocha Pro for the remove tool. Been following some tutorials and had no problems with some “test” shots. But I’m working on my first actual removal shot, and I thought I had it set up correctly, but clearly I don’t.

I’ve created my cleanplate. My cleanplate spline layer is on top of my tracked layer and linked to the tracked layer.

Illumination model “None”, got “Use Cleanplates Exclusively”. But when I click to test a render I get the following error: “Unable to replace pixels in all images in the selected range.”

Both layers have the ranges set identically.

Any ideas?

—Quote (Originally by martinb)—
Do you have any in/out points in the shot?
Do you need to use “Use clean plates exclusively”?
—End Quote—
Thanks for responding.
Yes, there are in and out points.
Yes, I have to use “Use clean plates exclusively” for the shot to work.
“somehow”, clicking around by switching the illumination model to “linear” and then back to “none”, it began working. I’m not sure if that’s the “only” thing I did, but that fixed it.
Could you tell me, in general, what that error message indicates?
Robert

—Quote (Originally by martinb)—

—End Quote—
Thanks for responding.

Yes, there are in and out points.

Yes, I have to use “Use clean plates exclusively” for the shot to work.

“somehow”, clicking around by switching the illumination model to “linear” and then back to “none”, it began working. I’m not sure if that’s the “only” thing I did, but that fixed it.

Could you tell me, in general, what that error message indicates?

Robert

Thanks Mary. Hmm, didn’t know you could keyframe UCPE function. That may have been it. I was removing a man standing in front of a white wall. I followed your tutorial actually, and I created a clean-plate frame, then painted out the man in Photoshop, using that frame as my clean plate.
Like I said, something I did got it to work eventually. I guess I was hoping that error message was always tied to some particular conflict in settings, something specific that I could always check.
Regardless, shot turned out great. Keep up the good tutorials.
Robert

Thanks Mary. Hmm, didn’t know you could keyframe UCPE function. That may have been it. I was removing a man standing in front of a white wall. I followed your tutorial actually, and I created a clean-plate frame, then painted out the man in Photoshop, using that frame as my clean plate.

Like I said, something I did got it to work eventually. I guess I was hoping that error message was always tied to some particular conflict in settings, something specific that I could always check.

Regardless, shot turned out great. Keep up the good tutorials.

Robert

In short, it means that mocha does not have enough information to get you a good remove. That is usually caused by not having any pixel data to replace your object with, meaning that mocha can’t “see” behind your object. Perhaps you had “use cleanplates exclusively” keyframed off on another frame or something like that.

Thats my best guess. Hope that helps.

Cheers!
Mary

In short, it means that mocha does not have enough information to get you a good remove. That is usually caused by not having any pixel data to replace your object with, meaning that mocha can’t “see” behind your object. Perhaps you had “use cleanplates exclusively” keyframed off on another frame or something like that.
Thats my best guess. Hope that helps.
Cheers!
Mary

Awesome! Thanks so much, I’m glad you like the tutorials. We are planning to put out many more!
Cheers,
Mary

Awesome! Thanks so much, I’m glad you like the tutorials. We are planning to put out many more!

Cheers,
Mary