Error when importing clip

I am receiving the following error message when attempting to import a .mov clip: “Failed to open the movie file: check that the file is readable.”

The clip was exported as a QuickTime movie (I’ve tried both regular QuickTime and as a self-contained movie).

I am assuming that the reason for the error message has something to do with the way I exported the clip.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

– Sue

I have the same problem. Tried different files with different codecs from different locations. As far as I determined I can only import jpg and png files.

Deleted the plist files and reinstalled, but the problem persists. (/Users/dbo/Library/Preferences/com.ImagineerSystems.Motor.plist & /Users/dbo/Library/Preferences/com.imagineersystems.Motor 1.plist)

My system is a Powermac G5 (late 2005)
Dualcore 2 GHz,
ATI X1900G5,
Nvidia Geforce 6600 256MB
7,5GB RAM
boot drive is a striped volume
OS X 10.4.9 with all updates applied including Quicktime Pro 7.16

Downloaded Monet and there happens the same.

—Quote (Originally by Jay)—
Innitial testing on Motor 1.1.3 seems have resolved this sporadic Mac issue!
The importing issue that is.

We are pushing the have 1.1.3 release ASAP!
—End Quote—

Tested 1.1.3 and I can open the files now

I’ve noticed the same behavior in Monet and Mokey for PPC on Mac while attempting to import a .mov, “Failed to open the movie file: check that the file is readable.”

We run a floating license here, and QTs seem to load properly in the windows versions, so maybe the same Motor issue/fix affects Monet and Mokey?

Thanks for looking into this,

elitwin

ps - seems like the Monet and Mokey support forums are locked out.

Hi All,

I am currently looking at the issue at the moment; I think it may be an issue with the universal binary for the mac, but I will keep everyone updated with the issue.
I believe we should be looking at releasing a fix for this and other issues later this week.
Note: This is not an issue that I have been able to duplicate on the intel mac it seems sporadic on the ppc mac.

Hello Again,

I am pleased to say that we have pinpointed and solved the issue; the fix is now in test and will be released with the next bug fix version of Motor; which is provisionally scheduled on Monday the 21st next week.

May have something to do with the codec you are using.
What codec are you using?

—Quote (Originally by sue_l)—
DVCPRO HD 1080i60

Any suggestions?
—End Quote—

Please upload a sample file for us, just a short clip will do.
Also confirm your system specs and the version of Motor you are using.

FTP account:
server: ftp.imagineersystems.com
username: imgforum
password: imgforum

direct link: ftp://imgforum:imgforum@ftp.imagineersystems.com/

Bare in mind this ftp account is not private!

I’ve uploaded 2 versions: one is with the DVCPRO HD 1080i60 codec… the other is OfflineRT HD. Both were exported from FCP 5.1.4 using QuickTime (both are self-contained movies).

System specs:
Mac Dual 2.7 GHz PowerPC G5
2.5 GB DDR SDRAM
OS 10.4.8
ATI Radeon 9650

Motor: v1.1.2

TIA for the assist on this!

– Sue
—End Quote—

Sadly we have not been able to re-produce the issue as yet… but thanks for the clips.

Just as a matter of elimination could you download Motor again and perhaps just copy it to your desktop and try loading these clips.

Don’t want you to kill the current installation but if it works then obviously just replace the app.

Per your suggestion, I have re-downloaded Motor (just the training/eduction version… still 1.1.2) and still no luck.
—End Quote—

Tx for the effort… was worth a try.

—Quote—
So… shall I assume that you were able to successfully import the clips on your end?
– Sue
—End Quote—

Yes we are successfully importing the media, seems it’s a workstation specific issue. Will get back to you ASAP.

We seem to be getting wires crossed between outputting and inputting. I have responded to the Outputting questions on thread: http://forum.imagineersystems.com/showthread.php?p=508#post508 .

As for an immediate work round on importing media the only definite solution we can suggest at the moment would be to export to sequential files.

I will try my best to have more of an answer for you later today, as we are busy testing new builds.

Thank you for your patience.

Innitial testing on Motor 1.1.3 seems have resolved this sporadic Mac issue!
The importing issue that is.

We are pushing the have 1.1.3 release ASAP!

—Quote (Originally by Tiziano)—
Ciao Tommaso!
motor 1.1.3 seems to have fixed the issue and we are told should be out soon. Until then, render out image sequences from FCP. Those load into motor fine for me with 1.1.2.

In bocca al lupo!
—End Quote—

I concur, for now convert to sequential files. The good news is this sporadic PPC issue seems to have been solved.

Current 1.1.3 being a test build with the main purpose of testing whether the movie import is fixed. Please use 1.1.2 and use sequential files for now.

We are pushing the developers hard to have 1.1.3 release version out ASAP!

Please note post:

Motor 1.1.3 release candidate (http://forum.imagineersystems.com/showthread.php?t=184)
http://forum.imagineersystems.com/showthread.php?t=184

I also have the same problem. I get the same error message about readability. I use a MAC G5 dual 2.7 gig.

I also can’t output (using tut files) in animation. Doesn’t let you click on the ok button or add numerical numbers in any of the keyframe fields.

I think the link to Motor 1.1.3 is not working? I clicked on it, Downloaded it, and entered the password but when I ran it it said 1.1.2 not 1.1.3.

Can anybody please help.

thanks!

—Quote (Originally by mattewizard)—
…can’t output (using tut files) in animation. Doesn’t let you click on the ok button or add numerical numbers in any of the keyframe fields.
—End Quote—

Same prob. here, regardless of codec used.

For info on my system, please see “Project Won’t Open” thread.
Thanks.

What codec are you using?
—End Quote—

DVCPRO HD 1080i60

Any suggestions?

Please upload a sample file for us, just a short clip will do.
—End Quote—

I’ve uploaded 2 versions: one is with the DVCPRO HD 1080i60 codec… the other is OfflineRT HD. Both were exported from FCP 5.1.4 using QuickTime (both are self-contained movies).

System specs:
Mac Dual 2.7 GHz PowerPC G5
2.5 GB DDR SDRAM
OS 10.4.8
ATI Radeon 9650

Motor: v1.1.2

TIA for the assist on this!

– Sue

Just as a matter of elimination could you download Motor again and perhaps just copy it to your desktop and try loading these clips.
—End Quote—

Per your suggestion, I have re-downloaded Motor (just the training/eduction version… still 1.1.2) and still no luck.

Sadly we have not been able to re-produce the issue as yet…
—End Quote—

So… shall I assume that you were able to successfully import the clips on your end?

– Sue