I’ve followed this tutorial (https://vimeo.com/150981500) a number of times in the past for the occasional eye flick and it’s worked great, but now it’s a little dated with the new interface and I’m confused on how to use the Tracking Data in AE.
Export Tracking Data is missing from the new Mocha interface and back in AE, I figured out that I needed to use the “Create Track Data” button. But, then I get a little fuzzy on what to do to the freeze frame layer and the solid.
Can someone take a look at the old tutorial and give me some pointers on how to do this with the new interface and AE CC2019? Or does an updated version of this tutorial already exist? Thanks.
So the overall technique is the same but applying exports is a little different if you’re using Mocha AE only. You can see this video for the updates on how to use the Mocha AE interface to export shape and tracking data: https://borisfx.com/videos/welcome-to-mocha-ae-after-effects-2020-edition/
Please note that for some of these exports, you might have best results if you put things like the eyes you’re replacing the blink with in their own precomp with all of the attributes inside the precomp.
Try those techniques and let me know.
Thanks Mary! That was helpful. While awaiting a reply, I did manage to finally stumble upon a combination of buttons that gave me the results I needed.
What I ended up doing was:
Created the eye track, then added new track layer for eye mask and linked the mask to the track.
In AE, I created the tracking data on my shot. Then, I took the same shot from the project window (not a duplicate) and added it as a layer below. I added a freeze frame just before the eye flicked.
Then using the AE plugin options, I applied the tracking data to “layer 2”. But, I set it to “Effects & Masks” (I’m not sure if that was necessary or not, but it seemed to work).
So, then I just had to trim my freeze frame layer down to the duration I needed it. But, of course, this left my talent with holes for eyes because they were being keyed out on layer 1. So, I then added layer 3 of the original footage under everything, this ended up giving me a good result. But, I’m sure there’s a more elegant way I could have approached it. I’ll try to play around with it more if I get some free time and get a better understanding of what is happening.
I’ve uploaded images of my timeline and effects controls panel for reference.
The way that works is the right way.