"Failed to open the movie file: check that the file is readable."

hi everyone this is the first time i’m participating here.
well, I hade the same problem and took me a while until I found the solution, and the solution is that dont save any video in C: or desktop wich belongs to C: of course, save instead in D: or E: etc etc that you later going to use it in mocha it worked for me.
I hope it work’s for you

Hi!

I’m new to mocha (I got it with AE cs4) and I’m trying to start my first project. However, when I try to open my video file in Mocha AE I get the following error:

“Failed to open the movie file: check that the file is readable.”

I have tried both lossless AVi and Quictime animation. The original footage is hdv (which I exported from AE as AVI and QT in order to bring it to mocha) and the resolution is 1440x1080 25p.

I’m working on a Windoes Vista 64-bit workstation with a quad core processor and 8gb RAM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Is there anything I should try in order to fix this?

—Quote (Originally by J-P)—
Network shares (SMB/AFP/etc) usually work fine, although I have heard about some problems with Xsan volumes. What kind of network share is it?

What’s the path to the file that won’t open in Mocha?

J-P
—End Quote—
Hi!

The problem just showed up again, this time again from a drive that was also shared (though it was a different drive). I removed the sharing from that drive but the problem still persist. The clip I’m trying to import is a basic lossless AVI-file exported from adobe media encoder. The network that I’m using is a normal windows home network, though it’s between a Windows Vista and a Windows XP SP3 machine. Any tips?

Did some more testing and now I can’t seem to be able to open the files anywhere on that Vista 64bit computer… I also exported as quicktime but that wont open either.

—Quote (Originally by J-P)—
I’ll see if I can reproduce the problem here. Which version of Mocha are you using?

J-P
—End Quote—
Mocha for After Effects v.1.2.2 Soho edition

The problem occurs in a windows Vista 64 bit machine (with user account control turned off).

Still struggling with the same problem. I can’t use Mocha at all on my workstation because of this. Is there any help available?

—Quote (Originally by mad)—
I forgot to tell you THANK YOU :slight_smile:
—End Quote—
Just make sure there are no special characters and spaces inside directory and file names. If nothing helps, then create a new directory directly below the root and move the files there.

—End Quote—
Just make sure there are no special characters and spaces inside directory and file names. If nothing helps, then create a new directory directly below the root and move the files there.

I’ll see if I can reproduce the problem here. Which version of Mocha are you using?

J-P

Just looking back over this thread, I see no one ever answered whether they have problems playing back the same video in QuickTime Player. Can you check this please?

Thanks,

J-P

I was aware of the problem with non-English characters, but not the problem with spaces - I will check that out.

The non-English character problem is a big deal to fix and I can’t promise it’s going to be resolved soon. This problem only happens on Windows, where we need to switch to using UTF-16 (one way of encoding Unicode) characters internally. We currently use UTF-8 (another way of encoding Unicode) which works fine on Mac and Linux, but sadly not Windows.

J-P

That’s right, the issue is present in all our products and is mentioned in the release notes.

J-P

Hi. Copy the video file to the system hard disk and try again.:slight_smile:

Hi

I have same problem. How can I resolve it?

Thank you
—End Quote—
That’s right, the issue is present in all our products and is mentioned in the release notes.

Hi
Thank you
—End Quote—

Hi

Thank you

Hi

I have same problem. I use vista 64bit 8core i7.
How can I resolve it?

Thank you