Failed to render garbage mask

I have a scene im attempting to roto. I have tracked different objects and made masks for each element, the masks are linked to the tracked data for each spot.

i test rendered a few times and everything was fine. I applied the motion blur setting and now when i attempt to render i get an error that says failed to render garbage mask. If i goto the clip selection and bring up any of my masks i get an on screen error in yellow text saying cant find image. I have tried closing and reopening a few times and still get the error, I tried to remove the motion blur hoping maybe that screwed something up but its still giving me the same code. any one have any idea why. there is ALOT of stuff being done in this and i really dont want to start over. if anyone has an idea i can try im all ears.

Also if anyone knows why that code came up please let me know so i can avoid this in the future.

I cant afford the time to redo this in motor and have it screw up again so im stuck doing it by hand unless anyone knows how to get the garbage masks on that one to render. any ideas?

—Quote (Originally by ctlfreak)—
I have a scene im attempting to roto. I have tracked different objects and made masks for each element, the masks are linked to the tracked data for each spot.

i test rendered a few times and everything was fine. I applied the motion blur setting and now when i attempt to render i get an error that says failed to render garbage mask. If i goto the clip selection and bring up any of my masks i get an on screen error in yellow text saying cant find image. I have tried closing and reopening a few times and still get the error, I tried to remove the motion blur hoping maybe that screwed something up but its still giving me the same code. any one have any idea why. there is ALOT of stuff being done in this and i really dont want to start over. if anyone has an idea i can try im all ears.

Also if anyone knows why that code came up please let me know so i can avoid this in the future.

I cant afford the time to redo this in motor and have it screw up again so im stuck doing it by hand unless anyone knows how to get the garbage masks on that one to render. any ideas?

Edit

after playing with stuff for a min, it seems like the motion blur is causing it to mess up. Not 100% sure on that but it seems to do it when i apply the motion blur. I am also unable to remove the motion blur without undoing. if i set a keyframe and then delete it, the parameters stay loaded with no keyframe. when scrubbing the timeline you can see the motion blur numbers changing. I’ve worked around it by manually keying the edges feather settings. I am still curious to know whats going on. Not sure if its the motion blur or some unseen thing at play but its happened every time i apply blur on this clip.
—End Quote—

Sorry to hear you are battling.

Can you please confirm your platform and the version of Motor you are using.

I have a couple of suggestion but would prefer having a look at your project file before I do.

Please zip and attach your project to this thread. No need for the media at this point. If you can upload both your latest and perhaps an older project that you have not applied your workaround.

Still waiting on the project files. In the meantime…

GOOD NEWS is this seems to be a bug only affecting Mattes viewed via View Controls. Rendering mattes via File / Render works fine.

The View Controls Matte view is intended only to preview a Motion blur rendered result vs the interactive OpenGL result.

And it’s only a problem when more that one layer has Motion blur active.

So the suggestion is don’t view individual Mattes via View Controls.
View only OpenGL Mattes via the Matte button under View Controls.
To view a Rendered Motion blur Matte use File / Render.

FYI - We are working towards GPU realtime interactive Motion blur which will eliminate the need for OpenGL and Rendered Motion blur views.

Lastly regarding the confusion with activating and deactivating Motion blur - I suspect it being a keyframing issue. My suggestion is the enter the Curve Editor and make sure all Motion blur keyframes are deleted.

Alternatively use Uberkey and deactivate Motion blur - effectively setting all Motion blur key frames to de-active. (A little more messy but faster)