Fast Shooting Sequence

Hey there,
searched the forum, but did not find the thing what could solve my problem.
I have a short shot with a guy getting hit by a mp, so maybe 10 hits.
Tried to track the medals, the buttons or specific areas in many ways but always got bad results.
Guess, it is the turning and shaking of the body and the medals, also the cloth sometimes covers the buttons ect.
So is it possible to get like 10 little areas to track that I can place wounds and blood on it?
Here is the link to the shot:

Thank you very much,
sant0s :slight_smile:

I think you may be getting bad results from tracking small areas. Track lager areas and hook wounds and such up to them. Now, I see that there’s a lot of cloth movement and that will throw your track off, so try tracking only translation and scale, or just translation if you’re still not getting good results. You may need to get creative with blending modes to make this convincing and let the cloth folds come into play in your composite.
See the attached file for tracking reference. The .mov you sent was super tiny and super compressed, so results will vary. Try re-tracking on the original sized footage and see if you get a more useable track.
Mocha will give you very poor results with tiny tracking areas, it is not a point tracker. It will look for a pattern of pixels moving relative to one another. That’s how it gets it’s data.
Cheers,
Mary

I think you may be getting bad results from tracking small areas. Track lager areas and hook wounds and such up to them. Now, I see that there’s a lot of cloth movement and that will throw your track off, so try tracking only translation and scale, or just translation if you’re still not getting good results. You may need to get creative with blending modes to make this convincing and let the cloth folds come into play in your composite.

See the attached file for tracking reference. The .mov you sent was super tiny and super compressed, so results will vary. Try re-tracking on the original sized footage and see if you get a more useable track.

Mocha will give you very poor results with tiny tracking areas, it is not a point tracker. It will look for a pattern of pixels moving relative to one another. That’s how it gets it’s data.

Cheers,
Mary

Honestly, tracks like this are just super tough. Try to track sections. Try using auto track in tough spots. Try tracking ONLY translation. Try crunching up the contrast in the clip settings using the colorspace tab. Try tracking forwards and backwards. I repeat, this sort of shot is just a total pain to track because of the way the cloth is moving. Mocha is a planar tracker, animated textures like folding cloth are going to give you limited results. See if you can find spots where the trackable area isn’t folding.
The track shouldn’t be “shaking” though, if the track is bad it should be slipping.
If you’d like me to look at a larger shot, I will, can I use the results in a tutorial to put online if I get good results?
Cheers,
Mary

Honestly, tracks like this are just super tough. Try to track sections. Try using auto track in tough spots. Try tracking ONLY translation. Try crunching up the contrast in the clip settings using the colorspace tab. Try tracking forwards and backwards. I repeat, this sort of shot is just a total pain to track because of the way the cloth is moving. Mocha is a planar tracker, animated textures like folding cloth are going to give you limited results. See if you can find spots where the trackable area isn’t folding.

The track shouldn’t be “shaking” though, if the track is bad it should be slipping.

If you’d like me to look at a larger shot, I will, can I use the results in a tutorial to put online if I get good results?

Cheers,
Mary

Hey there,

searched the forum, but did not find the thing what could solve my problem.

I have a short shot with a guy getting hit by a mp, so maybe 10 hits.
Tried to track the medals, the buttons or specific areas in many ways but always got bad results.
Guess, it is the turning and shaking of the body and the medals, also the cloth sometimes covers the buttons ect.

So is it possible to get like 10 little areas to track that I can place wounds and blood on it?

Here is the link to the shot:

Thank you very much,
sant0s :slight_smile:

Hey Mari :slight_smile:
thanks for your answer.
Yes, i had similar results, thought I am doing something wrong. Even with the original footage your mocha file slips, in AE it gives me shaking blood :slight_smile:
Not becouse I dont like mocha, got great results in other shots - but what is recommend for tracking this kinda shots?
If you wanna have a look on the bigger shot, I ll send it.

Hey Mari :slight_smile:

thanks for your answer.

Yes, i had similar results, thought I am doing something wrong. Even with the original footage your mocha file slips, in AE it gives me shaking blood :slight_smile:
Not becouse I dont like mocha, got great results in other shots - but what is recommend for tracking this kinda shots?

If you wanna have a look on the bigger shot, I ll send it.