Feature Request: Optimisation for "Save"

I’m surprised that no one has open a topic about the complicated process of saving a file.
At the moment it’s a real pain, especially if you process a lot of files (not in batch mode).

My suggestions for improvement:
In the settings, you can specify that when a file is saved, an individual text is automatically appended to the file name.
For example -opt, so that overwriting the file is automatically prevented.
The file name would then be, for example, DSCF0002-opt.jpg.
In this case, the standard Windows dialogue could even be dispensed with completely and the saving process could be done without a dialogue (this would be my favourite).
When saving, the file name of the currently edited file is taken over (if the feature mentioned under 1 is available with the corresponding addition). At the moment, the field for the file name is unfortunately empty and you have to look up the name of the file each time. Very tedious. This would have priority 1.
The degree of compression for JPEG can be set in the settings. This way, the dialogue for the “JPEG Options” does not have to appear every time you save. This is quite annoying and I don’t think it’s a setting that you set individually for each photo. It would also be enough to add a checkbox “Do not show next time”.

Thanks @martin.ische for your comments.

For 1, I don’t think we want to automatically append anything to the filename. However, we can possibly make this an option. For 2, I need to dig a bit to see there was a technical reason behind leaving the filename blank by default. For instance, it may have something to do with Batch, but I am not sure right now. It should be possible to place the name of the existing file in the File field and there would be prompt when saving over an existing file. For 3, this is the same behavior as Photoshop and I would lean towards keeping it that way.

I would be interested to hear the opinions of other users to see if there is consensus.

Thanks for the quick feedback, despite the Christmas holidays :slight_smile:

Re 1: this must of course be an option in the settings and not the default, that’s what I meant.
To 2: would be very helpful, that would already improve a lot
To 3: just because Photoshop does it the same way, doesn’t mean it’s right :-), the usability of Photoshop is not very good with many functions, but of course understandable because the programme has a long history. Here the question to other users would be whether they actually set the compression rate individually for each image; it would not be clear to me what goal is being pursued with this, since there is no control at all over the quality of the different compression rates at this point. Of course, this also applies to Photoshop.

For me, there are two main arguments why setting JPEG Quality at this point in the process makes no sense:
If I set the quality individually for a photo, then I also want to see what the different settings have for consequences. So it remains a trial & error.
I usually only change the quality of the JPGs because I want to reduce the file size, for example for display on the web.
However, there is software that can do this much better (including Photoshop’s export dialogue), especially “JPEG Mini Pro” or “SpaceSaver”, which manage to reduce the size without any immediately visible loss of quality.

And if you primarily use programmes like DXO Photolab, Lightroom, Capture One or On1 Raw to edit your photos - as I do - then you are used to the fact that the JPG quality can be adjusted in the settings and not every time when exporting/saving.
In Affinity Photo, too, saving JPG is as simple as possible = one keystroke.
Only Photoshop is out of the ordinary and, if I’m not mistaken, this was the case from the beginning, i.e. since the JPG format was supported by Photoshop. And according to the motto “Never change a running system”, this has probably never been questioned.