[Features Request] Bring Back Right-Click/Context Menus from PI v.3X

I am a legacy user of PI v.3.0.1 through 3.09 and I’ve included all suggestions including screenshots in the attached PDF file to be looked at offline for I didn’t want to make a long-winded posting. I believe Alan Lorence is now project manager for PI at Boris, but as the original creator of PI, I hope he gets to read said PDF.

I had quite a few interactions with him back at the Creative Cow forum of the 3.x version of PI, and he was also quite kind to me back when he ran Wondertouch.

As stated in opening of this PDF, I’m no programmer and thus the suggestions may be technically or otherwise moot due to advances in software engineering and GUI trends. All I can ask is that someone consider them.

Thank you.

~ Philip Knight

Suggestions for Particle Illusion from v.3.x.pdf (1.4 MB)

Hi Philip!

Context menus will eventually be back, but TBH it often comes down to balancing priorities with limited resources. We have to weigh the impact each change has not only on what users can do with PI, but how easy it is to do the things they want to do.

For instance in the last release we added the node view, which makes it so much easier to work with complex emitters and projects, getting rid of the huge list of parameters to scroll through. Much more of an impact than context menus would have made.

At some point context menus will make it to the top of the list, but I don’t know when that will be.

Thanks for sending and keep the feature requests coming!

Alan.

Thanks for prompt reply, Alan. Feels kind of weird (in pleasant way) to be communicating with after all of these years later from back in the day when ParticleIllusion was your invention and Wondertouch how you gave it to us.

I understand there are priorities and financial resources issues besides technical feasibility of which I know nothing, but I appreciate that I’m not alone or nuts in thinking about the overall value of PI-3 type context menus.

The one that I miss the most is the Position graph with keyframes with context menu. Maybe the introduction of the XYZ values due to 3D in ParticleIllusion makes that tricky - or not; but then there perhaps could be a graph for each frame+value…

2D POSITION Control Graph Equivalent:

Value 1
(Frame) X
(Value) Y

Value 2
(Frame) X
(Value) Y

3D POSITION Control Graph Equivalent:

Value 1
(Frame) X
(Value) Y

Value 2
(Frame) X
(Value) Y

Value 3
(Frame) X
(Value) Y

I’m most likely wading into stuff over my head with such ideas, but I just have a soft spot for PI so I hopefully I can be forgiven for perhaps being unrealistic (or not). :slight_smile: