File Size question

Hello, I’m relatively new to mocha and I’m attempting to stabilize some footage. It’s aerial footage and the background is constantly changing, so I’m using one layer and adjusting the points to track new ares of the footage. The clip is also 32173 frames long. I’ve set in and out points to track frames 25715 through 29551. I also set multiple shots in the frame list to reframe my shot during the stabilization. I noticed that it tracked the footage very slowly and now I can’t export my stabilized data to after effects. It crashes every time I attempt to export the data or a quicktime file.
So I was thinking that it could be because the file is over 30 thousand frames long or because the file size is 18.91 GB. I wanted to know if either of the two factors just mentioned would affect the speed and functionality of mocha pro. If so, what is a safe size, both in GB and length that mocha can handle effortlessly.
I’m working on a Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 12 GB of ram, and my graphics chipset model is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512 MB of total VRAM.
Im also running version 2.6.2 of mocha.
Thank you in advance for all of your help!

Well, I set a render range for the portion that I wanted to render out, not the entire 30k frames. But I can certainly reduce the size of the file to the portion that I’m stabilizing. Also, it wouldn’t render out frame by frame and I couldn’t save the stabilized data. I could save the regular tracking data, but I needed the stabilized data.
So just to be clear, the actual size of my file(18 GB) has nothing to do with the functionality of mocha pro and if I reduce the amount of frames I should be fine?
Thank you MaryP!

Hello, I’m relatively new to mocha and I’m attempting to stabilize some footage. It’s aerial footage and the background is constantly changing, so I’m using one layer and adjusting the points to track new ares of the footage. The clip is also 32173 frames long. I’ve set in and out points to track frames 25715 through 29551. I also set multiple shots in the frame list to reframe my shot during the stabilization. I noticed that it tracked the footage very slowly and now I can’t export my stabilized data to after effects. It crashes every time I attempt to export the data or a quicktime file.

So I was thinking that it could be because the file is over 30 thousand frames long or because the file size is 18.91 GB. I wanted to know if either of the two factors just mentioned would affect the speed and functionality of mocha pro. If so, what is a safe size, both in GB and length that mocha can handle effortlessly.

I’m working on a Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 12 GB of ram, and my graphics chipset model is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512 MB of total VRAM.

Im also running version 2.6.2 of mocha.

Thank you in advance for all of your help!

Well, I set a render range for the portion that I wanted to render out, not the entire 30k frames. But I can certainly reduce the size of the file to the portion that I’m stabilizing. Also, it wouldn’t render out frame by frame and I couldn’t save the stabilized data. I could save the regular tracking data, but I needed the stabilized data.

So just to be clear, the actual size of my file(18 GB) has nothing to do with the functionality of mocha pro and if I reduce the amount of frames I should be fine?

Thank you MaryP!

Thank you MaryP for all of your advice!

Thank you MaryP for all of your advice!

Hi Chatten,
This likely has nothing to do with either AE or mocha, but just memory limits on processing that many frames. Your clip board likely can’t handle copying that much data (as stabilize data to AE).
Do you really need the shot to be 30K frames long? Or is it going into an edit? I always recommend breaking clips up into shots (in an edit) to start doing any sort of visual effects on.
You may be able to render the shot frame by frame out of something like mocha Pro, or you can try to save and import your stabilize data without copying and pasting.
Cheers,
Mary

Hi Chatten,

This likely has nothing to do with either AE or mocha, but just memory limits on processing that many frames. Your clip board likely can’t handle copying that much data (as stabilize data to AE).

Do you really need the shot to be 30K frames long? Or is it going into an edit? I always recommend breaking clips up into shots (in an edit) to start doing any sort of visual effects on.

You may be able to render the shot frame by frame out of something like mocha Pro, or you can try to save and import your stabilize data without copying and pasting.

Cheers,
Mary

That is more or less correct. The actual size of the file will only affect what your computer can handle, the frame range that mocha looks in for its calculations is the real memory eater on anything you render out of mocha.
If you still get poor results, try clipping the footage down to the range you need only and loading the shortened footage into mocha.
Cheers,
Mary

That is more or less correct. The actual size of the file will only affect what your computer can handle, the frame range that mocha looks in for its calculations is the real memory eater on anything you render out of mocha.

If you still get poor results, try clipping the footage down to the range you need only and loading the shortened footage into mocha.

Cheers,
Mary