First Major Moch Project

I just did my first major job (wire removal) exclusively with Mocha Pro and the Remove Module. I learned a lot but have a few questions which would really help me.
Is it essential to track a static plane to replace part of a foreground? I often wanted just to mask in a splined area without the need to track but couldn’t work out how to do so.
I still find the first frame, last frame, frames before and after confusing.
Take the example of a 100 frame clip where I am using clean plates every 20 frames with “use clean plates exclusively”. Would the correct setting for frames before/after be twenty frames as the nearest clean plate will always be in this range so reducing rendering times?
Is the first frame and last frame referring to the frame range mocha looks at for it’s references, so in theory could be edited during the shot since it only needs to look at the previous and next frame containing a clean plate?
many thanks
gerry

that’s brilliant, thanks

I just did my first major job (wire removal) exclusively with Mocha Pro and the Remove Module. I learned a lot but have a few questions which would really help me.

Is it essential to track a static plane to replace part of a foreground? I often wanted just to mask in a splined area without the need to track but couldn’t work out how to do so.

Take the example of a 100 frame clip where I am using clean plates every 20 frames with “use clean plates exclusively”. Would the correct setting for frames before/after be twenty frames as the nearest clean plate will always be in this range so reducing rendering times?

Is the first frame and last frame referring to the frame range mocha looks at for it’s references, so in theory could be edited during the shot since it only needs to look at the previous and next frame containing a clean plate?

many thanks
gerry

thanks for the speedy reply which is very clear, but what I should have asked for the first part was this:
Say I want to restore part of a clip i have been working on with the original version. For example i want to clean up some edges that became spoilt. Do I have to go into a compositing package to garbage mask in the original or can i do this in mocha anywhere outside of the remove module?
many thanks
gerry

thanks for the speedy reply which is very clear, but what I should have asked for the first part was this:

Say I want to restore part of a clip i have been working on with the original version. For example i want to clean up some edges that became spoilt. Do I have to go into a compositing package to garbage mask in the original or can i do this in mocha anywhere outside of the remove module?
many thanks
gerry

that’s brilliant, thanks

Generally, for best results, I always composite the cleanplate back in using a feathered mask from mocha or a difference matte I create in a compositor. I also will degrain and regrain the area. Sometimes mocha will get you all the way there in one render, but for fine tuning I always go to a compositor like nuke or ae to finish with grain.

Hi Gerry,

Let me see if I can answer these for you.

—Quote—
—End Quote—
You can track any area that has pixels moving relative to one another, as in, one direction at a time. Multi-plane removes require multiple tracked background planes. You can not do any removes without a background plane track, period. That’s how the remove works, it is based off the track.

—Quote—
—End Quote—
Frames before and frames after do not matter if you’re using clean plates exclusively.

—Quote—
—End Quote—
First frame and last frame is the entire range mocha is looking, as in, the breadth overall. Frames before and frames after is how many frames in that range before and after that mocha is looking, and step is how many frames it skips (to save on processing power). A step of one looks at every frame, a step of ten looks every ten frames. This is only relevant if you aren’t using clean plates exclusively.

Let me know if that answers your questions for you. You may also want to check our documentation on removes: http://www.imagineersystems.com/support/Documentation/remove-overview

Cheers,
Mary

Hi Gerry,
Let me see if I can answer these for you.
—Quote—
—End Quote—
You can track any area that has pixels moving relative to one another, as in, one direction at a time. Multi-plane removes require multiple tracked background planes. You can not do any removes without a background plane track, period. That’s how the remove works, it is based off the track.
—Quote—
—End Quote—
Frames before and frames after do not matter if you’re using clean plates exclusively.
—Quote—
—End Quote—
First frame and last frame is the entire range mocha is looking, as in, the breadth overall. Frames before and frames after is how many frames in that range before and after that mocha is looking, and step is how many frames it skips (to save on processing power). A step of one looks at every frame, a step of ten looks every ten frames. This is only relevant if you aren’t using clean plates exclusively.
Let me know if that answers your questions for you. You may also want to check our documentation on removes: http://www.imagineersystems.com/support/Documentation/remove-overview
Cheers,
Mary

Generally, for best results, I always composite the cleanplate back in using a feathered mask from mocha or a difference matte I create in a compositor. I also will degrain and regrain the area. Sometimes mocha will get you all the way there in one render, but for fine tuning I always go to a compositor like nuke or ae to finish with grain.