Fixing Holes in Matte

Hello everyone,

I have footage that I’ve pulled a key on using zMatte but have some areas that have some holes in the matte. I was wondering if there is a way to fix that with the zMatte controls or use roto shapes to block out those areas that are still visible.

Any help would would be greatly appreciated. I have provided image to show areas I’m trying to fix.

Thanks,
Gus

There are two auxiliary inputs (purple ports) in the zMatte node. The first is a Holdout Matte and the second is a Garbage Matte.

From the user guide:

Holdout Matte/Garbage Matte
A Holdout Matte defines foreground areas that should not be keyed out, while a Garbage Matte defines background areas that should be keyed out. zMatte has Holdout Matte and Garbage Matte auxiliary inputs that can come from a source image or a node like Roto.

• If there are foreground areas that are not keying properly, hook a Roto node into the Holdout Matte input. Roto the appropriate foreground areas and they will be added to the output matte.
  • If there are background areas that are not keying properly, hook a Roto node into the Garbage Matte input. Roto the appropriate background areas and they will be subtracted from the output matte.
1 Like

Once again. Thank you Marco. You’re such a BIG help. I also found that the Matte Repair will also give me some of the same results but that answers my question regarding mattes on keys.

Thanks.