Frame out of range error in insert mode

I was doing a sign replacement in Mocha Pro OFX. I went to the last frame, created a clean plate, digitally removed the sign and added the image as an insert. I hit the align surface button and rendered the frame successfully. When I tried rendering backwards, it refused to render any other frames. I switched to Input view and when I scrubbed through the timeline, I saw a Frame out of range message overlaying the footage.

I used Replace mode to successfully replace the sign, but I am wondering a couple of things.

1. Why was I getting a “Frame out of range” message? What does that indicate?
  2. Is there a way to reset the align surface back to the planar surface square?
  3. Which is computationally cheaper, insert or remove? I am guessing insert uses less processor power, but that is only my assumption.

I am asking more for future reference, since I already achieved the desired result in this instance.

Hey there,

1. Why was I getting a “Frame out of range” message? What does that indicate?
“Frame out of range” usually means that you don’t have any more frames to use in the current clip. Were you using the actual clean plate clip or did you import the clip from the insert drop down? If you were using the actual clean plate clip then this makes sense, as that is a special type of clip that only contains frames on the place in time you set them.

2. Is there a way to reset the align surface back to the planar surface square?
No, but we we just talking about this the other day and plan to add a “reset surface” function in later releases. For no you just need to reduce the size of the surface manually.

3. Which is computationally cheaper, insert or remove? I am guessing insert uses less processor power, but that is only my assumption.
Remove is definitely more computationally intensive, but it is also GPU accelerated, while Insert is not (yet). If you’re using “Cleanplates exclusively” with your clean plate then the speed is actually pretty in line with Insert.
The advantage of “inserting” with the remove module is you also get to use the illumination modelling, but sometimes it can be overkill to do all your inserts in Remove.

I was indeed using the clean plate clip instead of the image directly. Importing the image directly solved my issue.

I am glad there is going to be a reset option for align surface. I am still a relatively new user to mocha and I make mistakes that more seasoned users are unlikely to make.

Thank you for your answers. They are extremely helpful moving forward.